Support for students living off-campus

Our university campus is situated between the small town of Egham and the village of Englefield Green, Surrey. The small sizes of these local communities makes Royal Holloway a relaxed and peaceful place to study; and the closeness of London gives many opportunities for those wanting to live, visit or do voluntary work in a big city.   We seek to be a good neighbour  by contributing fully to the local economy, supporting local causes with student volunteer help, trying to ensure students behave considerately in the local area and encouraging attention to personal safety & crime-prevention. 

The Community, Wellbeing & Student Outreach team - within Support & Advisory Services - support students who are living off-campus locally and those commuting in from outside the immediate community.

Their responsibilities include:  

  • Visits to students living in Egham & Englefield Green.
  • Wellbeing & welfare support and advice for all students.
  • Help with, and advice on settling-in issues. 
  • Overseeing & implementing the Be A Good Neighbour strategy & advice.
  • Police, Council & local resident liaison.
  • Supporting SURHUL with 'Love Your Neighbour' and SSHH! (Silent Students Happy Homes).
  • Personal safety & crime prevention advice (with support from Security).

Information for local residents and how to contact us can be found on our Community Matters pages. 

Student Wellbeing: Contact information

 Head of Student Wellbeing & Safeguarding        Helen Groenendaal        01784 443394      
 Community Support Co-ordinator        Amanda Ellis            01784 276612                            
 Community Wellbeing team   Carolyne Wishart  Liz Hudson  Phil Simcock     Susan  Waud 
 Wellbeing Adviser   Cara Hens       01784 443132
 Wellbeing Adviser  Denise Williams      01784 443395

Queries and questions about Community, Wellbeing & Support from student and non-student residents within the local community should be directed to Amanda.  

Students can contact them by email or by visiting the main office in Founder's West.

Outside of office hours off campus students can contact College security on 01784 4433063 for advice and support where possible.   

  • Private sector advice (contract and landlord issues) should be discussed with the SU Advice Centre team.
  • Emergency accommodation or halls of residence queries should be directed to the Student Accommodation team.    



Royal Holloway, University of London logo