We use cookies on this site. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Close this message Find out more

More in this section Your country


HSC-HomepageImageRoyal Holloway warmly welcomes students from the United States of America.

There are currently 88 students from the USA here, studying on undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes, and the most popular courses are English, History, Drama & Theatre, Media Arts, Comparative Literatures and Cultures, Classics & Philosophy, Psychology and Politics & International Relations.

Each year, we also welcome approximately 50 Visiting Students from the United States on student exchanges and onto our Study Abroad programme for either a term or a full academic year.

The Regional Manager responsible for the USA visits regularly to participate in exhibitions and private appointments with schools and other agencies. For further information or assistance with making an application please do not hesitate to contact us at international@rhul.ac.uk.

Applicants to Royal Holloway come from a diverse range of backgrounds and we accept a broad range of qualifications to our courses. Each applicant is considered carefully on their individual merits, but please see below for the standard minimum entry requirements for students from the USA.


Advanced Placement Tests (APs)
The standard entry requirement for applicants with American qualifications is Advanced Placement Tests. Applicants should have grades of 4-5 in at least 2 relevant AP Tests. Royal Holloway's CollegeBoard DI code is 4899. 

Applicants with good results in the SAT Reasoning Test, SAT Subjects Tests, and in their High School Graduation Diploma will also be considered on a case-by-case basis. Specific entry requirements for different academic disciplines may vary, but applicants should have at least 600 in Reading & Writing along with Maths. In addition students must have 666 in the Essay plus a score of 600 in two SAT II tests. Royal Holloway's CollegeBoard DI code is 4899.

Scores of at least 27 in ACT alongside good grades in the High School Graduation Diploma will also be considered on a case-by-case basis.

A levels & International Baccalaureate (IB)
Students who have taken A levels or the IB Diploma will be considered for direct entry onto our undergraduate programmes.  Specific grade requirements can be found in the course finder entry for your chosen course.

Our International Foundation Year, run by Study Group, is a programme of academic and English language study skills for international students who do not meet the direct entry requirements for undergraduate study.


Bachelor's Degree
Students who have successfully completed a Bachelors degree in an appropriate subject with good grades/GPA and at a reputable university will be considered for entry to a Royal Holloway Master's degree programme. Exact requirements will depend upon the programme, but most departments will ask for a GPA of between 2.6/4.0 and 3.2/4.0.

Master's Degree
Students who have successfully completed a Masters degree in an appropriate subject with good grades/GPA and at a reputable university will be considered for entry to a Royal Holloway MPhil/PhD programme. Exact requirements will depend upon the programme.



For undergraduate students, applications are made online via UCAS. Students applying for a University preparation course or a postgraduate course apply to Royal Holloway directly.

You can find further information on how to apply in the Study here section of the Royal Holloway website.

Royal Holloway offers a range of scholarships for our international students. You can find out which ones you're eligible for on our undergraduate scholarships page and postgraduate scholarship page.  

If you are considering postgraduate study at Royal Holloway, you can also find out about the external funding that is available to you.

Students from the US can apply for the American Foundation of RHBNC International Excellence Scholarship which provides two scholarships a year for American students studying a Masters degree at Royal Holloway. These scholarships provide a cash award of £6,500 for the first year of study.

Masters and PhD students can also apply the British Marshall Scholarship, jointly funded by Royal Holloway and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, and the Fulbright-Royal Holloway award, which both cover tuition fees and annual stipend for one year.

Additionally, students may be eligible for US Federal funding (Stafford and PLUS loans). The Federal School Code for Royal Holloway is G09086. Click here for more information.

Meet us in the USA 

Royal Holloway frequently makes trips to the USA, so why not take the opportunity to meet us in person?  You can find out more about the next Royal Holloway visit to the USA on the Meet us in your country page.

Royal Holloway Representatives in the USA 

Royal Holloway has an appointed representative in the USA who can offer you advice and assistance with your application.


Across The Pond

Across The Pond has representatives across the country.

Across the Pond
170 S. Green Valley Parkway
3rd Floor
Nevada 89012

Tel: +1 702 318 7127
Fax: +1 702 318 7101
Email: info@studyacrossthepond.com
Website: studyacrossthepond.com  
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AcrossThePondUK
Twitter: @AcrossThePondUK


Institutional Partnerships

Royal Holloway is proud to have a number of partnerships with institutions in the United States.

Exchange Agreements

Royal Holloway has student exchange agreements with the following institutions:

  • Arizona State University
  • Boston College
  • Mount Holyoke College
  • New York University
  • Northwestern University
  • Tulane University
  • University of Florida
  • University of Massachusetts at Amherst
  • Washington College
  • Yale University

Study Abroad Partners

Students enrolled at one of our Study Abroad partners may study for a year or a semester at Royal Holloway. Partners include:

  • Arcadia University College of Global Studies
  • IFSA-Butler (Institute for Foreign Study Abroad) at Butler University
  • Bentley University
  • George Washington University

You can find further information on our partner institutions page.




The local American community  sports-basketball-women-1

There is a strong community of students from the United States of America at Royal Holloway.

The Students' Union runs a wide range of clubs and societies which all students are able to join. The Students' Union has its own award-winning radio station, Insanity, and its own lifestyle magazine, The Orbital. A full list of societies can be found on the Student's Union website.

Royal Holloway is recognised as one of the University of London’s best sporting Colleges. RHULSPORT offer 35 student sports clubs and high quality on- and off-campus facilities.

Community Action Volunteering exists to connect, train and support Royal Holloway students seeking to volunteer in the local community.

Royal Holloway is a multi-faith community, with many different beliefs represented on campus and excellent cooperation between faiths both on campus and in the local community. For information about our College Chaplaincy and the numerous on-campus faith groups, please see our Faith Support pages.


We have a large community of alumni from the United States of America, including an Alumni Chapter in Washington run by a Regional Alumni Ambassador, and the recently established American Foundation for Royal Holloway and Bedford New College.

British Degrees in the USA

A British degree is a valuable asset in the US job market. Recent research commissioned by the British Council indicates that three-quarters of American employers (73%) consider degrees earned in the UK to be the same as or better than those earned in the USA.

Useful Links




My colleagues on the program represent four continents and have backgrounds and professional experiences that have enriched the classroom learning and provided me with invaluable insights. I am making high-level contacts and collaborating with people in my field, and I credit this to the reputation of RHUL and my department.
-Ronda, MSc Practising Sustainable Development (ICT for Development)



Comment on this page

Did you find the information you were looking for? Is there a broken link or content that needs updating? Let us know so we can improve the page.

Note: If you need further information or have a question that cannot be satisfied by this page, please call our switchboard on +44 (0)1784 434455.

This window will close when you submit your comment.

Add Your Feedback