How do I use the VPN on Windows 7?
The Royal Holloway VPN (Virtual Private Network) provides you with a digital connection to campus, even if you’re not here. It works by routing your network traffic through the campus, giving you a Royal Holloway network address. When you’re using the VPN your computer will behave exactly like it would if you were on campus, and this allows you quick access to restricted services, like library services and your Y: drive.
To use the VPN on Windows 7, follow these instructions:
1) Open Control Panel.
2) Choose Network and Sharing Centre.
3) Select Set up a new connection or network.
4) A new window titled Connect to a Workplace will open. In the Internet Address box enter vpn.rhul.ac.uk.
5) Name your connection Royal Holloway and press Next.
6) Enter your Royal Holloway username (e.g. abcd123) and password and press Create. You should now be connected to the VPN.
7) If you need to connect to the VPN in the future, it will now appear in the network access options in task bar on the bottom right-hand side of your screen.
To find out how to use the VPN on other operating systems, look at our FAQ collection.
You can also download an app to help you connect to the VPN. To download this software for your machine visit the VPN section of our intranet.
If you believe this page needs to be amended or updated please send your comments to ITWebFeedbackroyalholloway.ac.uk.