The Royal Holloway VPN (Virtual Private Network) provides you with a digital connection to campus, even if you’re not here. It works by routing your network traffic through the campus, giving you a Royal Holloway network address. When you’re using the VPN your computer will behave exactly like it would if you were on campus, and this allows you quick access to restricted services, like library services and your Y: drive.
At Royal Holloway you can either use the VPN though Internet Explorer, or by using a client called GlobalProtect. To use the VPN in Internet Explorer you will need to visit https://webvpn.rhul.ac.uk/.
GlobalProtect is a new VPN solution being introduced at Royal Holloway for Windows and Mac. If you are using a mobile device or tablet you should continue to follow these instructions and use F5 access.
GlobalProtect should automatically be available on your office laptop. If you would like to install the VPN on a personal device or a computer not managed by Royal Holloway follow these instructions:
- Open your web browser and visit https://staff-vpn.royalholloway.ac.uk. Please note that you must use 'royalholloway' and not 'rhul'.
- Log in using your College username and password.
- Download and open the installer for your operating system.
- You will be guided through the process to install GlobalProtect. Leave all of the options as the default and complete the process with the installer wizard.
- Once GlobalProtect has been installed open the app.
- The app will ask you for a Portal address. Enter staff-vpn.royalholloway.ac.uk in the box and press Connect.
- You will be prompted to log in. Enter you College username and password and press Sign In.
This will have connected you to the Royal Holloway VPN. If you experience any issues with the VPN you should check our frequently asked questions about the VPN or contact the IT Service Desk.