Dec 11 2018


Q. I've read that only Android phones can be used to submit the application, is that correct?

A. The second private beta phase is testing the full online application process, which includes the EU Exit: ID Document Check app which allows applicants with a chipped identity document to confirm their identity and the validity of their identity document remotely. This is currently only available on Android devices (smartphone or tablet).

Applicants can of course choose, if they wish to do so, to use a family member/friend’s Android device to access the EU Exit: ID Document Check app. Alternatively you can contact Donna Randall in the HR department to make use of a device the HR Department have borrowed for the duration of the pilot.

No personal data is stored on the phone at any time. The phone is used only to facilitate access to the app which is fully secure.
Applicants can complete the remainder of the online application process on any smartphone, tablet or computer. This includes using Apple devices.

Q. What specification does the Android device need to be?

A. You’ll need an Android smartphone or tablet (such as a Samsung, Google or Sony phone) with NFC (Near-Field Communication) to use the app.

Look in your phone settings to see if it has NFC. NFC is what the app uses to scan your document.

If you can use your phone to pay for things using ‘contactless’, this means it has NFC and you can use the app.

Your device will need:

  • Android 6.0 or above – you can find this in your device settings
  • at least 135MB of storage space to install the app
  • to be connected to 3G/4G or WiFi
  • NFC – you can find this in your device settings


Q. Are citizens from the Republic of Ireland required to apply for settled status?

A. No, Irish citizens living in the UK are not required to obtain leave under the EU Settlement Scheme as their status in the UK is not linked to the UK’s membership of the EU. However, they may choose to do so if they wish. This includes those eligible for the private beta test phases.

 Q. Does it apply to Norway, Iceland, Lichtenstein and Switzerland?

A. Negotiations are still ongoing regarding the terms of the EU Settlement Scheme for citizens from Norway, Iceland, Lichtenstein and Switzerland. As a result, citizens from these countries will not be able to participate in this pilot.

Q. Does the EU settlement scheme extend to those with EEA family permits and related visas?

A. Yes. All those currently here under EU law (i.e. as an EU citizen or the family member of an EU citizen) will need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme (unless they are Irish or already have an immigration status under UK law). This includes those that hold a document issued under EU law, such as an EEA family permit or a permanent residence document. In this testing phase, only non-EU citizens who hold a biometric residence card issued under the EEA Regulations can apply.

Q. Which non-EU national family members can apply?

A. Non-EU family members of EU citizens can only take part in the pilot if they are working in the higher education sector in the UK. They must also have a biometric residence card with ‘EU Right to Reside’ on the back, which you applied for on or after 6 April 2015. A family member is a:

  • spouse
  • civil partner
  • durable partner (unmarried partnership akin to marriage or civil partnership)
  • child, grandchild or great-grandchild (including of the spouse or civil partner)
  • dependent parent, grandparent or great-grandparent (including of the spouse or civil partner)
  • dependent relative (including of the spouse or civil partner where the applicant holds a relevant document in the UK as the result of an application made before 1 February 2017)

Q. Can employees take part in the pilot if they are not currently based in the UK, e.g. they are currently away on sabbatical overseas?

A. There is currently no provision for applications to be made from overseas, but as stated in the Statement of Intent the Home Office are looking to introduce this in due course. Those that are eligible to apply during the private beta but are not currently in the UK are welcome to come to the UK in order to make an application.

However, applying as part of the private beta is optional. Those who do not do so may apply once the scheme rolls out more widely and at any time before the deadline of 30 June 2021, in line with the draft Withdrawal Agreement.

Application Process

Q. When does the window to apply open and close for this part of the pilot?

A. This stage of the pilot opened on 15 November 2018 and runs until 21 December 2018. Applications submitted by this date but not concluded will continue to be processed until they are concluded.

Q. Do I need to use my university email address to apply?

A. No. You can use any email address that you regularly monitor as you will need access to your email account when making your application.

Q. Can you save the form/process half way through and come back?

A. Yes. The application can be saved at each stage so that applicants can return to complete it at a later time.

Q. How will I get the result, it says a letter, but is this emailed? Posted?

A. Applicants will receive confirmation of their status via email.

You will be granted a digital status which will be stored electronically by the Home Office. Once applicants receive their status, details will be provided on how to access it on GOV.UK. This will enable you to prove your rights to others online, including employers and landlords.

Further information will be included in a letter attached to the confirmation email.

Q. Once the application is complete, what is the wait time for the result?

A. Current expected processing times will start to be published on GOV.UK later in November 2018.

Q. How long roughly does it take to complete the application form?

A. Feedback from applicants on the speed and ease of the application process has been very positive with applicants taking on average around 20 minutes to complete their application.

Q. What happens if there is ‘no deal’ on Brexit?

A. Last Thursday (06/12/18) the Government confirmed that even if there is no deal, the EU Settlement Scheme will continue to be implemented as planned. This will enable EU citizens and their family members living in the UK to secure their status and continue to live, work and study in the UK on the same basis as they do now.

Required Documentation

Q. Is settled status in this pilot only based on five years’ work or will periods of self-employment and other qualified person categories be counted?

A. Settled status in the scheme is based on residence, not employment. There is no requirement to have been working or to have been a qualified person in any other category.

Q. If, when applying, the screen says you don't have 5 years records but you think you do, can scanned documents be uploaded or do they have to be sent through the post?

A. If the entitlement to the status that you claim cannot be confirmed via HMRC or DWP records you will need to provide additional evidence of your residence. It will be straightforward for applicants to provide other evidence of their UK residence.

Information on the broad range of evidence that can be used is available here:

You can upload photos or scans of documents as evidence of your UK residence.

Q. Do non-EEA family members have to provide evidence to prove relationship?

A. Yes, unless they already have documented permanent residence. The application process will explain what documents are acceptable for this purpose.

Q. Can you give some examples of documents that employees could upload to demonstrate their residency if they have gaps in the tax records?

A. A non-exhaustive list of acceptable evidence can be found here:

This includes, bank statements, council tax bills, university or school fee invoices, rental agreements, payslips, and utility, phone, TV and internet bills.


Q. Will the £65 charge apply in the same way as full roll out

A. Yes. The cost during the pilot is the same as for the full roll-out of the scheme.

Q. How will someone who has permanent residence or indefinite leave to remain demonstrate this so they do not have to pay?

A. There is a question within the application form. Applicants that have documented permanent residence or indefinite leave to remain will be asked to provide their reference number so that the Home Office can verify this status and their entitlement to a fee waiver. 

Q. What form will receipt of payment take?

A. You will recieve reciept of payment by email.

After the pilot/after settled status is granted

Q. How does someone with settled status show they have the right to study or the right to work to a new employer?

A. Your status will be stored electronically by the Home Office. Once you receive your status, details will be provided on how to access it on GOV.UK. You will be able to prove your rights to others online, including employers and landlords.

EU citizens can continue to demonstrate their entitlement to work, study etc. using their EU passport or ID card until 31 December 2020.

Q. What will be the process for British citizenship following approval of settled status?

A. The process will remain the same as it is currently; generally (unless you are married to a British citizen) you must have been free from immigration time restrictions for 12 months before you become eligible to apply for British citizenship. Unless you already have permanent residence (and have switched to settled status), this 12 months will generally start from the date that settled status under the scheme is granted.

Q. If someone was granted pre-settled status because they had been here for 3 years, could they then apply for settled status in 2 years time?

A. Yes. Pre-settled status is granted for five years. During that five-year period you can apply for settled status as soon as you’ve lived in the UK for five continuous years. You will not need to pay a fee for this subsequent application if it is made after March 2019.

Q. If an individual has been resident in the UK for 4 years and is granted pre-settled status would this automatically change to settled status after one more year?

A. No, your status will not change automatically. You will need to apply for settled status once you become eligible to do so. However, you will not need to pay a fee for this subsequent application if it is made after March 2019.

Q. Will you let Universities know which individuals have been granted settled or pre-settled status?

A. No. Employers will not receive notification of which status their employees receive. The decision is for the applicant only and they can share it at their discretion.

Maintaining Settled Status

Q. Is there a way an individual’s settled status could lapse?

A. Yes. Subject to approval by Parliament, it will lapse if an individual is absent from the UK for five consecutive years. Pre-settled status will lapse after an absence of two consecutive years.

Getting further information

Q. What times are the Resolution Centre telephone lines staffed until?

A. You can call the Resolution Centre on 0300 123 7379 from Monday to Friday between 8am and 8pm, excluding public holidays, and on Saturday and Sunday between 9.30am and 4.30pm.

 Alternatively, you can ask a question using the online submissions form

Q. Is there any information online?


Further information can be found at:

EU Settlement Scheme pilot: applicant information

Settled and pre-settled status for EU citizens and their families