This year, our admissions team are looking for 40 colleagues to take calls in our Clearing Decision Making Call centre on Thursday 15 August and around 15 colleagues on Friday 16 August. Colleagues can cover either the morning or the afternoon if they are not available for the full day.
The call centre opening hours are likely to be:
15 August: 7.30am-6pm (shifts: 7.15am-12.45pm or 12.30-7pm)
16 August: 8.30am-4pm (shifts: 8.15am-12.30pm or 12.15-5pm)
If some volunteers are unable to start before 9am or work past 5pm, this is not an issue as we won’t need all the phones to be covered at the start or end of the day.
What is Clearing?
Clearing is a UCAS process to enable those who haven’t yet found a university place for this September to get offers and then to decide which, if any, of those they want to accept.
The Role of the Volunteers
- To complete an online form with details of each caller
- To check on a database that the programme the caller wants to study has vacancies
- To check that the caller meets the entry requirements for that programme
- To make a verbal offer over the phone (or in rare cases to say that we can’t make an offer).
- A front line call centre will be filtering the calls that get put through to the Decision Making Call Centre so that the majority of callers will meet the entry requirements
- The majority of callers will have A-level qualifications
- International students will be dealt with by Admissions staff and not by staff in the Decision Making Call Centre
- A script is provided of everything that needs to be said to the caller
- Full training is provided. A choice of training dates will be available: Thursday 8 August, Friday 9 August or Monday 12 August. Times and venue will be made available closer to the time.
- Admissions staff will be on hand in the room to help with any queries
- Food and drink is provided throughout the day, starting with breakfast for the early shift.
If you would like to sign up, please contact Catherine Cole, Admissions Manager (Undergraduate), with the details and times that you are able to help out.