External Examiners play a key role in the College’s quality assurance and enhancement processes as set out in Section 6 of the Regulations on the Conduct of Assessment. They are primarily responsible for
- Ensuring that the standards set for the awards made by Royal Holloway, University of London, or Royal Holloway and Bedford New College are appropriate for qualifications at the level set for the relevant subject;
- Confirming that the standards of student performance are comparable with those for similar programmes or subjects in other UK institutions
- Confirming that the processes for assessment and examination were conducted soundly and fairly;
- Advising departments on ways in which the academic provision for and assessment of students can be enhanced.
Please navigate to the relevant chapters in the College's Academic Quality and Policy Manual for more information on the following:
- Appointment and Induction
- Nominations of External Examiners
- Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- College Regulations, Policies and Assessment Guidance
- Department Specific Programme and Assessment Information
- External Examiner Reports
- External Examiner Responses - Departmental and Institutional
- Claiming External Examiner Fees and Expenses
- Summary of Key College Regulations
Deadline for submission of External Examiner Reports: External Examiners are expected to complete the External Examiner Report Form within 3 weeks of the main meeting of the Department Assesment Board (June for undergraduate programmes and the Autumn term for postgraduate programmes) (Regulations on the Conduct of Assessment, Section 6 (5e).
Undergraduate provision: Mid-July 2020 for 2019-20 cycle
Postgraduate taught provision: Autumn term 2019 depending on departmental Sub-board date for 18-19 cycle and Autumn term 2020 depending on date of Department Assessment Board for 19 - 20 cycle.
The online form along with guidance on how to complete it is available here
Queries about External Examiner Appointments: firstname.lastname@example.org
Payroll Queries: email@example.com
Pension Scheme Automatic Enrolment Queries: firstname.lastname@example.org
The following website has an FAQs section relating to Pension Scheme Automatic Enrolment that you may also find helpful: