PowerPoint presentations have long since replaced the overhead projector in the role of sharing materials with groups of students in lecture halls and seminar rooms. PowerPoint allows lecturers to draw upon and incorporate a wide range of media formats; using websites, video clips, images, diagrams and animations to support and enhance teaching is now commonplace.
However, engaging with each and every learner in a way that allows lecturers to test their understanding, interact easily, and respond to learner experiences, is still challenging. It is in this area that TurningPoint Mobile can enhance and even transform the way we communicate with learners in a lecture setting.
What is TurningPoint Mobile?
You may have heard about Clickers. These devices allow learners to respond quickly and anonymously to pre-prepared questions incorporated into a PowerPoint presentation. The results of the polls/tests can be displayed instantly on the screen, to guide teaching and fuel discussions.
TurningPoint Mobile extends the power of Clickers by turning learners' web-enabled smartphones, tablets and laptops into 'virtual Clickers'. Learners are then able to respond to polls and tests online via an app or the web.
Find out more
- a wide range of questions, including including multiple choice, numeric response, short answer, essay, hotspot, priority ranking and demographic
- learners can access polls and tests via an app or web browser
- results can be presented immediately, and recorded
- engagement can be anonymous, named, or linked to Moodle accounts
- polls and tests can be lecturer-driven or self-paced
- polls and tests can be delviered in a classroom setting or remotely
Using TurningPoint Mobile, lecturers are able to:
- quickly measure learners' comprehension
- painlessly test problem-solving skills and performance
- provide prompt feedback to learners
- invite, capture, share, and display learner opinion
- if appropriate, record and export results for further analysis and/or discussion
- extend interactivity beyond the classroom with remote, live or self-paced tests and polls
With TurningPoint Mobile learners are able to:
- provide anonymous or tracked feedback to the cohort and lecturer
- receive instant feedback on their understanding / performance
- participate in a familiar 'interactive' or 'game-based' environment
Advantages of TurningPoint Mobile over Clickers:
- learners can use their own devices; smart phones, tablets or laptops
- lecturers can save time as there is need to book, collect, distribute and retrieve Clickers
- interactivity in lectures is no longer dependent upon availability of Clickers
- activities can extend beyond the classroom with remote and self-paced polls and tests
- To generate and collect data in support of lecture content, e.g., Psychology lectures on perception
- To provide in-lecture tests and polls to measure, and then respond, to learning
- To monitor attendance and deliver formative and summative in-class tests
- Visit the Classroom Interactivity with TurningPoint Mobile & Clickers resource in Moodle (includes links to apps, technical and pedagogical advice)
- Download and install the plug-in for PowerPoint
- Contact the Audio Visual Team to secure a TurningPoint Licence
- Contact the E-Learning Team for advice and training
- Create, save and re-use question sets