For any queries on insurance related matters, please email -


If you are driving on College Business in your own car, you should ensure you have the correct insurance. In order to claim back expenses for mileage, you must submit a form to go on the approved drivers list. This list is approved by Health and Safety.  Details here.

If you need to drive a vehicle owned by the University, you will need to email an authorised driving declaration form (form below) along with a copy of your licence card front and back to

If you are a student and are driving for research or education purposes, then you must complete a declaration before we can reimburse your mileage.

Driver Declaration for Non Business Mileage

Business Travel Insurance

January 2021 - A new Fieldwork and Travel Policy has been approved by the Executive Board and it applies to all travel UK and international, undertaken for College business. You must ensure you have read the policy before commencing on any travel or bookings.

Staff and students are covered by the College’s Travel Insurance Policy provided that the Insurance Officer is informed of the trip in advance (by completing the online form below) and following the above policy requirements, have the designated approvals and completed the relevant risk assessment. Travel will not be covered if it is against medical advice or advice from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

If the FCO advice is `against all travel' then the College's travel insurance will not cover if the traveller has travelled against this advice. If the FCO advive is `against all but essential travel' then your trip must be deemed essential and have the designated approvals as per the policy.

The travel insurance policy will cover pre-existing conditions as long as the traveller is not travelling against medical advice or in the case of a servere condition has a letter from their doctor confirming they are fit for travel. Please refer to insurance queries if there is a severe condition.

From 1 February 2015 no payment will be made to staff or students for any travel insurance taken out personally.

Partners and children accompanying the traveller can be covered by the policy subject to trip detais and if a business trip only. If the trip involves any personal vacation then they will need their own travel insurance. Please refer to insurance queries.


As the policy is a business travel insurance policy only - it is unable to cover personal vacation. Any stand-alone holiday will need to be covered by the traveller's own personal travel insurance cover. It is essential that the traveller ensures that this is in place prior to travel to make sure they are fully covered.

The insurer will howerver allow incidental days on a business trip dependent on the length, guidelines are:

Incidental Days Allowance
Less than 5 working days0 days can be covered                                                                    
5-12 working days 2 days can be covered
13-21 working days 5 days can be covered

Please email Insurancequeires for clarification.


For Student Placements, including Study Abroad, see the information on the Health and Safety website, in particular regarding insurance – it is the student’s responsibility to obtain appropriate insurance.


College will not make a claim for property or cancellation insurance of less than £100, any losses under this value should be notified to the Insurance officer and may be reimbursed to the individual. Medical and other claims will be met in full as will any property or cancellation claim over £100. 

No claim will be considered if the trip has not be advised to the Insurance Officer before travel unless there are exceptional circumstances to take into consideration.

Please see below note on coronavirus related claims to cancellations costs.

To submit a claim please email insurancequeries

Online Business Travel insurance Request  

CORONAVIRUS -  Please be aware that under the policy there is now an exclusion for any claims relating to cancellation, curtailment, re-arrangement, replacement, missed departure and travel delay due to COVID-19 and you will not be able to claim for these costs on the insurance. The exclusion extends to any law or guidance which prevents travel by FCO, WHO or any other legally empowered body, goverment or local authority.

The Cover for medical expenses due to COVID-19 still applies to all approved trips.

Please be aware of any ENTRY RESTRICTIONS to a country imposed by local authorities that may effect your trip. If the trip has to be cancelled due to entry restrictions, the College policy would not cover for cancellation expenses under an exclusion (subject to circumstances and review by the claims team).

BREXIT - If you are visiting Europe after BREXIT please refer to FCO guidelines - which include requiring 6 months on your passport. 

To inform the Insurance Officer of a proposed trip, complete the online form.

*Fieldwork risk assessments must be completed and approved by the department prior to completing the online form. For assitance with risk asessements please refer to the Health and Safety webpages for guidance.

Employers and Public Liability Certificates

Ministry of Justice Reforms

For Claimant Solicitors, Ministry of Justice Reports, please see

MOJ Important Information for Claimant Solicitors


Loan of equipment form

Blue Grey