"This has been the best course throughout my career and the impact has been immense. Thank you!" 2019 participant
Welcome to Mandala
The Mandala Programme aims to support staff from Black and Global Majority backgrounds in their applications to senior roles within HE. The programme, which has a strong practical component, is not about ‘fixing internal shortcomings’. Mandala explores participants' authority and presence as a leader, and becoming even more impactful through ‘being you skilfully’.
Participants will explore
- Career aspirations and options;
- How to think strategically about creating and accessing opportunities;
- The strength, resilience and power in participants’ personal history and what this means for career development;
- The participants’ authority and presence as a leader;
- How to influence others and develop effective and meaningful relationships in the workplace;
- Future career and personal development as a leader and strategies for achieving success.
2022 Mandala dates and how to apply
The deadline for 2022 applications is Friday 11 February. Courses will be delivered face-to-face if permitted, and via MS teams if restrictions due to Covid-19 are put in place in 2022.
Departments are expected to contribute £400 towards the cost of the programme. Therefore, it is important that perspective applicants discuss participation with their line manager prior to applying.
The course runs over 5 full days and you must be able to attend all sessions:
Monday 7 March 2022
Monday 4 April 2022
Monday 9 May 2022
Monday 6 June 2022
Monday11 July 2022
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like an application form.
The impact of Mandala
Staff have actively developed their professional portfolios since joining the Mandala programme. This includes applying for:
- Promotions, job appointments;
- Professional development training.
Quotes from 2019 participants:
"Wow! What an amazing experience. I am so lucky to have experienced this and would further encourage other BAME staff to do so."
"Mandala has been exceptional in helping me to grow in confidence, especially due to being in a group of colleagues where everyone is able to share their experiences openly."
"All five sessions were incredibly beneficial. Spending time sharing our journeys, dreams and exploring how to get there has been helpful."
"Mandala has been a truly valuable course and has given me so much more confidence in approaching difficult situations."
"I feel as though I have found my voice and have already implemented this in meetings at work."
Who carries out the training?
Mandala is carried out by People Opportunities Limited, an external Leadership Development Consultancy with a global track record in delivering effective strategic, career and personal development for leaders and organisations across all sectors. They are thought leaders in relation to the development of Black and Global Majority leadership and a premier provider of learning for Black and Global Majority staff.
You may also be interested in
- The Aurora Programme leadership development initiative for women. Run by Advance HE, Aurora provides the opportunity to network with women from across the region and work with an internal mentor.
- Enabling Women in the Promotions Process; a short, practical course which supports women senior lecturers and readers wishing to apply for promotion.
- The Springboard programme; a personal and work development programme for women.