Image goes here

New starter FAQs


These frequently asked questions are designed to complement the induction checklists which will be completed by your manager or another person in your department.


How can I get to work?

There is information on the staff intranet outlining your options for travelling to campus.

How do I get around campus?

Here is the campus map. You can find accessibility information on the AccessAble website.

You might also be interested in the College bus service which links campus with Kingswood hall of residence.

We have produced a self-guided tour of campus for new members of staff, which you can complete on your own or with members of your team. Use these other routes if you would like to explore our beautiful campus further.

Where can I eat and drink on campus?

There are lots of places to eat and drink on campus.

On Tuesdays during term time, you will find international food stalls outside the Students' Union building.

Can I pay for things with my College Card?

Yes, you can use your College Card to pay for food and drink at catering outlets on campus, including those run by the Students' Union. 

Please see this page for instructions on  how to load money on your card.

Where can I shop on campus?

The Davison building is home to the Union Shop, which stocks a wide range of essentials including sandwiches and refreshments, groceries and toiletries.

Every Tuesday during term time (10am-4pm) is Market Day at the Student's Union, which includes fresh produce and international food stalls.

How can I get to know colleagues?

 Here are some ideas for getting to know colleagues in the College.

What sports activites and facilities can I use?

Visit the sport and fitness page to find out about gym memberships, exercise classes and staff sports clubs.

Where can I post a letter?

Your department will be able to tell you about the postal arrangements for sending and receiving work-related mail. You can also find out more from the Post Room.

For personal mail, there is a postbox outside the Windsor Building. The gold paint marks the achievement of Mathematics alumna and equestrian Sophie Christiansen, who won three Paralympic gold medals at London 2012. Stamps can be purchased from the Union Shop.

You also might be interested to know that there are two Amazon Locker locations on campus.

Can I book overnight accommodation on campus?

Yes, there is an on-site guesthouse in The Hub. The accommodation comprises 24 bedrooms, which are all en-suite. Facilities include wifi, tea and coffee making facilities, toiletries and free car parking. There are singles, doubles and family rooms as well as an adapted room. Find out more about how to book and discounts available to staff.

How can I find out more about the College?

Find out about our history, which began with the creation of two pioneering women's colleges. You may be interested in our notable alumni and art collections. There are also some useful facts and figures

How can I get news and updates?

Staff are emailed a weekly newsletter which includes College news and information about upcoming events. News articles and events are also published on the staff intranet.

Can I smoke at work?

The College Smoking Policy explains that smoking, including use of e-cigarettes, is not allowed in or within 5 metres of any building.

How can I contribute to making my department an inclusive space?

 The College is committed to the principles of equality, diversity and inclusion. Please see our Equality and Diversity pages for information relevant training, networks and resources.

Where can I worship on campus?

We have two places of worship on campus, our Chapel in Founder’s Building and our Muslim Prayer Room in Wetton’s Annexe. There are regular services of worship in both spaces but they can also be used for quiet reflection and prayer. Find out more on the Multifaith Chaplaincy pages.

When is the next staff induction event?

Event name Date Time Location Description
Staff induction 08/03/2023 09:15 - 13:15 Gowar & Wedderburn Common Room For new staff to learn more about the College. Register
Staff induction 26/04/2023 09:15 - 13:15 Gowar & Wedderburn Common Room For new staff to learn more about the College. Register
Staff induction 07/06/2023 09:15 - 13:15 Gowar & Wedderburn Common Room For new staff to learn more about the College. Register
Staff induction 05/07/2023 09:15 - 13:15 Picture Gallery For new staff to learn more about the College. Register


Pay and benefits

How do I update my personal details?

You should use MyView to update your contact and pay details.

What do I do with my P45?

Parts 2 and 3 should be sent to the Payroll office.

How do I join the pension scheme?

The payroll and pensions page gives information about the College's two pension schemes including the criteria for auto-enrolment.

Where can I see my pay information?

You can view your payslips online using MyView.

How do I complete a timesheet?

Timesheets are completed using MyView.

How do I claim expenses?

The College uses prepaid cards to disburse funds for staff travel and subsistence. Find out more about when expenses may be claimed in the Travel, Subsistence and Personal Expenses Policy and Procedures. 

How do I book annual leave?

Annual leave should be booked using MyView.

What benefits are available to me?

The HR benefits page includes information about annual leave, flexible working, work-based nursery and more. Staff can also benefit from free software including Mircrosoft Office. Did you know that College staff can purchase a TOTUM card from the NUS, giving you access to discounts when shopping and eating out? There are many opportunities to attend events, lectures and concerts on campus.


Getting help

How do I get help with IT issues?

You can contact the IT Service Desk by email or by calling 01784 41 4321.

How can I get wellbeing support?

The College provides a provide a free and confidential Employee Wellbeing Programme, which is available for all staff to access. It is designed to help you with a wide range of work, family and personal issues.

The Working Well Hub also contains a wide range of useful information about working well remotely and on campus.

How can I find out more about health and safety?

The Health and Safety pages contain information including policies, training, risk assessments and induction.

How do I signpost students who need help?

Student Advisory and Wellbeing can support students with all aspects of health and wellbeing. The Student Services Centre can answer queries on topics including halls of residence, fee payment, exams and graduation.

What unions does the College recognise?

Ths unions page provide links to the unions that are recognised by the College.

Where can I find out about working well remotely?

The Working Well Hub contains lots of information and resources to support staff working away from campus.


Doing my job

What is hybrid working?

The College has defined hybrid working as 'Doing your office-based job from campus (Egham or London depending on your role) and remotely, including from home'. This type of working is suitable for some roles and you can find out more on the Hybrid Working Hub.

If I am hybrid working, where and when will I work on campus?

Your manager will discuss specific arrangements with you. The Hybrid Working Hub includes maps of hybrid working spaces including bookable hotdesks, meeting rooms and collaborative space.

How do I find staff contact details?

You can find the staff directory here.

How do I join the Library?

New staff automatically become members of the Library. Find out more about the services available.

How do I access email and files remotely?

Advice from IT on working remotely.

How do I book rooms and catering?

How do I book audio visual equipment?

Centrally timetabled teaching spaces are typically equipped with a main display screen, speakers, a networked computer, connections for laptops and writing facilities. For more information, see the Audio Visual page.

What are the College’s branding guidelines?

The brand toolkit contains resources and guidance to help you to use the brand effectively, including how to write and talk about Royal Holloway; using the logo; our colour palette; using imagery; the corporate fonts; and ordering stationery online.

I’m a line manager, what do I need to know?

Some key sources of information are included on our page for new managers.

What learning and development opportunities are available to me?

Visit the Organisational Development and Diversity intranet pages for more information about learning and development for staff.

What training must I complete as a new member of staff?

Staff are required to complete a number of e-learning courses on Moodle when joining the College. There is additional mandatory training for managers. Please visit the mandatory training page to find which courses you are required to complete.

You should also talk to your line manager about training that is specific to your job, such as health and safety or specialised IT systems. 

What support is there for me as a technician?

Training opportunities are available through HEaTED. You may also be interested in the College's work on the Technician Commitment.

How can I improve my English language skills?

The Centre for the Development of Academic Skills (CeDAS) offers 1:1 coaching sessions in English language and communication skills for members of staff whose first language is not English. Alternatively, you could attend courses for general English at a local further education college such Windsor Forest Colleges Group or  language schools accredited by the British Council.

What are the policies on donations and gifts?

Please see the policies on the staff intranet.

What are the HR policies?

Here is the link to all HR policies.

Can I drive my car for work purposes?

You should discuss whether this is necessary with your line manager. Health and Safety provide guidance on driving on College business.


Academic staff

How do I find teaching timetables?

You can log in to Web Timetables using this link.

Who provides administration in my school?

Please see this useful guide to school administration.

How do I update Pure?

This link to Pure provides information on how to log in, gettng started and frequently asked questions.

What training is there for academic staff?

The page on research and teaching development lists different sources of support, including  The Advance Programme and training provided by Educational Development.

What support is available for researchers?

Please see the Research and Innovation intranet pages for advice, guidance and support with your research grants, impact and business-related activities. This includes a useful set of frequently asked questions for research staff.

The Advance Programme is the College's development programme for all staff involved in research.

If you are an early career researcher, you can complete a form on MyView to ask Organisational Development to contact you regarding learning and professional development opportunities, including the Advance Programme.

What support is available for teaching?

The 'championing teaching' section of the staff intranet lists sources of support including e-learning services and examples of innovative practice.

I’m a Personal Tutor. What support is available to me?

This staff intranet page provides advice for Personal Tutors including pastoral support guidance and information in using the Student Dashboard.

What are the opportunities for e-learning?

The E-learning page contains a wealth of information about technologies used at the College and support for staff. You can also find out more about the College's approach to Flexible Education.

What guidance does the Academic Quality and Policy Office provide?

The College's regulatory and quality assurance framework is administered by the Academic Quality and Policy Office.

Where can I find guidance on research ethics?

This link provides information and guidance on research ethics.


 If you have suggestions for other FAQs, please contact Organisational Development and Diversity.