Conducting difficult conversations
Through a mixture of discussion, feedback, group exercises and skills practice, this one day workshop will equip you with the skills and behaviours to take a positive and sensitive approach to conducting difficult conversations, enabling you to handle them clearly, professionally and assertively.
- Know what a difficult conversation is and why this professional skill is so important for effective line management
- Identify different types of difficult conversations and approaches to dealing with them
- Anticipate and nip potential issues in the bud
- Be able to handle your own and others' emotions
- Know how to manage the ongoing relationship
Managers and team leaders who may have to prepare for ‘difficult conversations’ when addressing contentious and sensitive people situations.
- How this workshop aligns to the Royal Holloway Leadership Behaviours Framework
- What makes some conversations difficult
- Planning and preparing for the conversation
- The skills involved in holding difficult conversations
- Tools and techniques for effective communication
- active listening in the context of difficult conversations
- Why some conversations may go wrong
- The importance of follow up and ongoing support