Outside Insight is a work shadowing scheme developed by higher education institutions in London. It aims to provide work shadowing opportunities for administrative and professional services staff across partner institutions.
Work shadowing allows you to spend time (typically half-a-day but can be more) observing the work of a member of staff in a department or role of interest from a participating institution in order to gain insight into work in that area. This scheme encourages professional development through observation and active engagement with other professionals and allows you to bring back knowledge of work practices from other universities.
- Anglia Ruskin University
- City University
- Imperial College London
- London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
- London South Bank University
- Queen Mary, University of London
- Regent's University London
- Royal Holloway, University of London
- Royal Veterinary College, University of London
- SOAS University of London
- St George's, University of London
- University of East London
- University of Greenwich
- University of London
- University of Roehampton
Applications are invited in the autumn and summer terms. We are currently inviting applications for the summer round with a closing date of 12 June. Given the current Coronavirus restrictions, we plan to match visitors to host institutions to enable visits to take place when the situation allows.
- Complete the application form available on the Outside Insight website in consultation with your line manager and forward it to email@example.com by the closing date.
- When selecting your preferred insitution(s), you may wish to vist their website to see if they are a good match in relation to the service you wish to shadow.
- We will share your application with potential host institutions and their coordinator will seek agreement from the relevant person to host your visit. Once agreed, you will be given the contact details for your host and you will arrange a convenient date/time for the visit.
- A programme outline form will be agreed between you and the person you will be shadowing, addressing your specific objectives. The form also covers confidentiality, health and safety, and practical issues.
- The person doing the shadowing will be asked to complete a short evaluation survey after their visit.
Staff applying should have passed their probationary period.
For more details, please visit the Outside Insight website. You can also contact Joy Willshire for more information.