Image goes here

Community responsibility

How to remain Covid-safe in the local community 

Royal Holloway, University of London is very keen to maintain good relations with the local community and to ensure that those students living in the local community are able to do so safely and responsibly. Every year we run our ‘Be a Good Neighbour’ campaign and this year there is further guidance to ensure that you and the local community can remain safe during Covid-19 and protect yourselves.

The health, safety and wellbeing of our students, staff and local community is particularly important during the Covid-19 pandemic.  Throughout the year we will be communicating to you about the importance of being a considerate neighbour and reminding you of our expectations both on and off campus



Our community team have collated a list of frequently asked questions to help guide you with playing your part.

I live in a house with other people, what does that mean? 

You are classed as a household and have to follow Government guidance and advice regarding meeting other people. In your household you will not have to practice social distancing but should always ensure you are following the 'rule of six'.

Can we invite people to the property? 

No, you should not be inviting people to your house. 

It is important you follow the latest Government guidelines and socially distance outside when you meet with people outside your household away from the house.  

You must ensure you are following the 'rule of six' at all times inside and outside of the property.  

Can we have a party? 

No.  You cannot host house parties under any circumstances and this is something we would recommend in any situation.

Inviting lots of people over to your household for a party will lead to non-compliance of the rule of six and social distancing, noise complaints and potentially puts you, your household, friends and neighbours in danger. 

It also places you at risk of statutory action and a student conduct hearing.  You should read and understand our Covid-19 Code of Conduct and Community Responsibility Agreement.

Many of your neighbours will still work from home, may need to be shielding or isolating and any added noise especially after 11pm can be very distressing and can lead to extra worry especially if social distancing is not observed. 


What are the noise guidelines? 

You live in a quiet, residential area where people have to get up for work, school, lectures or they may be vulnerable, unwell or shielding.

  • There should be no excessive noise at any time (noise which disturbs others)
  • No disruptive audible noise at night outside your property under any circumstances. This includes in your garden.
  •  Return home from a night out as quietly as possible. Talking loudly in the street can wake your neighbours
  • Be reasonable and respectful at all times. Everyone has the right to the quiet enjoyment of their property


Can I travel to my home address? 

Yes, you can travel to visit your home address unless local restrictions in that area are in place. However, it is really important that you discuss this as a household including possible implications of travel back and forth. We would recommend that is not something that you do frequently.

If you have symptoms of Covid-19 or test positive for Covid-19 you must not travel anywhere and you must follow self-isolation guidance.


Someone in my house develops Covid-19 symptoms, what should be do? 

Contact Student Advisory & Wellbeing for further advice and support.

The main symptoms of coronavirus (Covid-19) are:

  • A high temperature - this means you feel hot to touch on your chest or back (you do not need to measure your temperature)
  • A new continuous cough - this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if you usually have a cough, it may be worse than usual)
  • A loss or change to your sense of smell or taste – this means you've noticed you cannot smell or taste anything, or things smell or taste different to normal

Yoi must self-isolate immediately if

  • You have symptoms of coronavirus 
  • You test positive for coronavirus 
  • You live with someone who has symptoms or has tested positive
  • Someone in your support bubble has symptoms or has tested positive
  • You're told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace

You should check the NHS website for the latest guidance on self-isolation and the lenght of self-isolation required.

If you have symptoms, need to self-isolate or have a positive test please let us know.  

Find more information on how to report symptoms or cases and the support we can put in place here on the 2020 / 2021 information hub 

I suspect that other households are not socially distancing or following the rules.  What should I do? 

If alerting them to the concern does not help you can report non-compliance of social distancing and breaches of household guidance meetings to the Police and this can be reported online to Surrey Police. You can also get further advice and guidance from community wellbeing.


What happens if we get a local lockdown? 

If you live in an area that is put into a local lockdown the Government and Council will issue further instructions and guidance.

The university will also communicate with students to offer further advice and support.  

I'm struggling living with others and worried about Covid-19

This is a really stressful and worrying time for everyone and you are not alone in feeling this way.

Please make contact with student wellbeing for further options on support that is available within the university and from external organisations.

You may also find some useful advice on our pandemic support and advice page








Header Here

Text here