We apologise for the any inconvenience caused by the current works on campus. These works are all essential to upgrade our historic estate.
Founder’s Square is open for graduation
Access changes: Access to Windsor, Founder’s East and Founder’s Square will be by the pathway between the Windsor and Davison buildings.
- There will be no access to Founder's Square from the north east.
- Work on the majority of Founder’s Square will pause for the week, but for safety reasons some areas will be cornered off.
- The freshly laid grass will also be cornered off, as it’s just been laid it’s easily damaged and there will be sprinklers running.
- Work continues in the Emily Wilding Davison Building and the north end of Founder's Square.
- Direction signs will be in place to show the best routes into the Windsor Building and Founder’s Square.
Access changes: No access to Founder’s via the North Tower during graduation ceremonies
- There will be access in-between ceremonies but during ceremonies access to Founder’s will be by the West, South and East entrances.
Delays likely: Runnymede Roundabout works from 8 July to March 2018
- Surrey County Council will be starting works on Runnymede Roundabout on the 8 July to improve traffic management and the efficiency of vehicle flows as well as making it easier for pedestrians and cyclists to safely navigate the roundabout.
- In advance of the main works starting they ae some enabling works that will be minor diversions next week The timings for this work hasn’t yet been confirmed, more details are available here.
What’s coming up?
Access changes: After graduation Founder’s Square will be enclosed into the construction site again
- Details of access routes from 17 July will be shared in the next update.
Access and route changes: Access and pedestrian routes to the Arts Building will change the 17 July (TBC)
- Work to the road and pathway by the Arts Building which will start on (or around) the 17 July will impact access and pedestrian routes.
- More details on this work and the impact will follow.
Access changes: Improvements to the Student Union square from 17 July to 10 September means access to the SU will be via Tommy’s entrance and the south side steps only
- Work starts on 17 July to improve the SU square so it can better accommodate daytime and evening events.
- Access to the Student Union from the north side opposite International Building will be closed throughout the works.
- Access to the Student Union will be via the Tommys entrance with an approach from the south side steps/ramp only.
Delays likely: A30 roadworks expected to start from 24 July
- Roadworks on the A30 / Chestnut Drive junction to complete the final drainage connection to the new George Eliot Halls are expected to start on the 24 July. During the works, on the A30/Chestnut Drive junction, there will be a single lane closure and two way traffic lights
- There will be roadworks shortly to create a safe route between the new George Eliot Halls on the north campus and the south campus, with the installation of a new crossing and a bus stop on the A30. The timings for this work hasn’t yet been confirmed.
Roadworks on the top north east corner of Founder’s continue
- The final stages of the roadworks around continue along Founder’s east, where possible mechanical diggers are being used to reduce the noise impact.
Summer work to refurbish halls means the pathway by Runnymede 1 is blocked off
- Major refurbishment of Runnymede 1 blocks NPQ and JKLM has started. This means these Halls and the pathway to the Sports Centre will be blocked off all summer. The alternative route is via the road between the Halls (as shown on the campus map above).
- Over the summer refurbishment works will also be carried out in Gower and Wedderburn, Kingswood 1 and 2 as well as Runnymede 2.
Increased construction traffic to the Science building
- Each week day there will be up to five large deliveries to the site
- There will be traffic management teams in place to manage these deliveries and to ensure your safety, please look out for them and follow their guidance.
When information is received this update will cover local roadworks that are not connected to our estates works. More information on all local roadworks are available here.
Science building construction
- If you would like to know more about the construction of the new Science building come and meet the contractor. The next monthly meet is at 9.30am on the 18 July @ 9.30am each month in the Hub restaurant:
If you have any questions, please get in touch at: estateplanroyalholloway.ac.uk
This update is produced in conjunction with our main build contractors, Osborne’s for the Emily Wilding Davison Building and the Science building and Willmott Partnership Homes for the George Eliot Halls.