Light Yellow

FAQs on the Industrial Action Hardship Fund




Who can access the Industrial Action Hardship Fund?

The Fund is available to all students who are enrolled for this academic year (2019/20).  To be eligible, your tuition fees must have been paid.

Is there a minimum/maximum amount I can claim?

There is a minimum £20 claim. All claims have to be supported by a receipt or similar evidence of cost incurred. Reimbursement will be for reasonable expenses only, so costs that were necessary to enable you to attend classes, and which turned out to not have been necessary as the class didn’t go ahead because of strike action.

What can I claim for?

You can claim for expenses in the list below. Claims must be supported by receipts and the cost must have occurred on one of the days when classes were cancelled due to strike action.

i) Travel expenses for public transport.

ii) Car parking.

iii) Childcare.

How do I apply?

You can make an application for reimbursement from the fund here. You will need to send the completed form to your academic department and they will complete their sections and send it to student finance. You will then be paid directly into your bank account within a few week.

Is there a deadline for applications?

All applications must be submitted for consideration by Friday 8 June 2018 to your academic department. Funds will be credited to your bank account.

Where can I find out more?

If you have any further queries regarding submission of an application for this fund please contact

Will I be offered a refund for my cancelled classes?

The College will not compensate students for teaching activity that did not go ahead.  We are compensating for classes that didn’t take place in other ways.  For example, some departments have made additional support available and we have adjusted exam papers and will profile marks for each course unit and candidate at the exam board to ensure you are not disadvantaged or penalised as a result of the strike action. Fees are not based on a per lecture or per tutorial basis, and they include the full range of services and support available to you.  Throughout the strike, services such as the library, Student Services and the Careers & Employability Service, remained open and available and the overall learning objectives of the course units have been delivered to you.

Are these payments being funded from the Hardship Fund?

The Industrial Action Hardship Fund will be funded with pay withheld from staff who took part in the industrial action. 

If all of the money saved is not spent through the Industrial Action Hardship Fund is not spent where will it go?

We can’t answer that question at the moment as we do not know how many claims will be received.