What cannot be raised under the Complaint Procedure


The following complaints will not be investigated:

  • Complaints which are made more than three months after the incident or action you are complaining about (except for in exceptional circumstances)
  • Complaints made by others acting on your behalf (except for in exceptional circumstances)
  • Anonymous complaints - The effectiveness of any complaints procedure depends on the College being able to collect appropriate information from the parties involved in order to investigate the matter properly. Therefore, only the Academic Investigations team can decide whether to investigate an anonymous complaint. If you are worried about revealing your identity, you can contact the Students’ Union Advice & Support Centre who may be able to make initial enquiries for you.
The College will not consider any issues raised through the Student Complaint Procedure where:
  • the College has no control over the service or facility being provided
  • there is an alternative procedure that is more appropriate to the nature of the issue being raised (some specific examples of the latter and the appropriate alternative procedures to follow are set out below)

This complaints procedure only applies to matters which are not covered by other established systems or procedures:

Circumstance excluded from the Student Complaint Procedure

Permissible alternative

The outcome of Boards of Examiners, such as the outcomes of coursework, examinations or formal reviews, academic progression, degree classification or degree award, and  termination of registration by the College Board of Examiners

You may be able to appeal against the outcome of examinations or termination of registration on academic grounds. See the Academic Appeals Procedure in the Academic Regulations

If, however, the grounds of appeal are matters covered by this complaints procedure, the Investigating Officer of the appeal may at his/her discretion arrange for it to be investigated as a complaint in the first instance

Penalties for examination and assessment offences

You may be able to appeal against penalties for examination and assessment offences. See the Regulations on assessment offences

Reconsideration of requests for special assessment arrangements

You may be able to request a reconsideration of requests for special assessment arrangements. See the Regulations on special assessment arrangements

A decision made by a Fitness to Practise Panel 

 You may be able to appeal against the termination of registration on grounds of fitness to practice. See the Fitness to Practise Procedures

If disciplinary action has been taken against you under the disciplinary procedures relating to non-academic matters and you wish to appeal against such action

You should follow the relevant sections of the regulations, set out in the Student Handbook

If you feel that you have been subject to personal harassment

Please see the arrangements set out in the Code of Practice on Personal Harassment in the Student Handbook

If you have a complaint about the Students' Union

You should follow the procedures set out in the Students' Union complaints procedure

If you have a complaint about the Health Centre

You should use the Health Centre's complaints procedure. Complaint forms are available in the Health Centre Reception, the Student Services Office and the Students' Union

If you have a complaint about the Catering, Residential or Bus Services.

Please note that there are separate procedures, details of which can be obtained from any of the Customer Service points around campus for addressing the complaint informally

If you are experiencing problems with student fees, including non-payment of debts

You should contact