Notification of Absence
If you are unable to attend a timetabled teaching session (lecture, seminar, workshop etc.), either in person or online, you must notify the College via the processes below; if this is not done, the absence will count as a missed point of contact.
If the absence is less than 5 consecutive working days, you must notify the College by completing a Notified Absence form. Evidence is not required. Where possible you should try to submit this in advance. If this is not possible, you should submit the form by the end of the day you are absent.
If the absence is more than 5 consecutive working days, or for evidence based retrospective requests for absence, you should request an authorised absence by submitting an Authorised Absence form and provide appropriate evidence. A list of appropriate evidence can be found here. Where possible, requests for authorised absence should be submitted in advance. Authorisation for unplanned absences may be submitted up to 5 working days after the last day of absence. Requests for authorised absence submitted after 5 working days may not be considered.
If you are experiencing issues that are preventing you from attending College regularly, we recommend contacting the Student Services Centre or the College’s Wellbeing and Advisory Service.
It is your responsibility to:
- Advise Student Administration of any absence. You should follow any guidelines specific to your department given in the Departmental Student Handbook as you may be required to meet formally with an academic tutor or supervisor.
- Submit a Notification of Absence Form online with the relevant supporting documentation either before your absence or within FIVE working days of the end of the period of absence.
- Keep in touch with your department should you be absent for a prolonged period
- Make up any work you have missed due to your absence.
- Follow the relevant guidance on any missed assessment(s) due to your absence. Please check our Assessments and Results page for more information.
Please be aware that
The submission of a Notified Absence Form does not require approval but will be updated on your attendance record. The submission of an Authorised Absence request does require an approval and the decision to approve this request is at the discretion of Student Administration. The outcome will be updated on your attendance record. If the request in not approved the absence will be calculated as a missed point of contact.
Although absence may be notified or authorised, if the overall level of absence could effect a student’s academic progress. Where your where engagement levels are already of concern, such requests may not be granted and this could result in your department initiating College disciplinary procedures by issuing Formal Warnings.
Your absence(s) whether authorised or not, does not constitute grounds for appeal against a module or degree course failure or failure to progress to the next stage of study.