Early Resolution


Early resolution of complaints

You should first raise any concerns you have about a service or facility with a staff member familiar with the area.  This enables the right person to look into the issue you have raised and resolve the problem or address your concerns.  We find that most problems can be quickly and amicably resolved this way.


Who should I contact?

If your concern relates to an administrative matter, or is about an administrative function or a service, you are advised to raise it with a member of that office or service, either in person or in writing.

If you have a complaint about an academic matter, please contact the relevant academic member of staff.  This could be your personal tutor, Academic Coordinator, Head of Department or other appropriate member of staff e.g. Director of Graduate Studies if you are a postgraduate research student.  

If you are not sure who to contact, please look at this at the table below which should help you identify the starting point for your query/complaint.  

Schools and Services contact details
 Type of complaint Relevant area of College Contact details
Accommodation Customer Services
Admissions decision or process Admissions

Admissions Complaints Procedure
Tuition Fees Student Fees
Tier 4 visas The International Student Support Office
Hall noise complaints Customer services or Wellbeing team
IT Issues IT Services
Library Library team
Parking Parking Admin team
Sports Centre Royal Holloway Sport
Student Services Centre

Student Services and 

Central Administration team

Student Services Centre
School Administration Each School has its own administration team School office information - Royal Holloway Student Intranet
The Students' Union The Students' Union has its own Complaints procedure
The Health Centre The Health Centre (on campus)
Student Wellbeing Student Advisory and Wellbeing


How should I raise my complaint?

The Informal Complaints Flow Chart may assist you in deciding on what course of action to take. 

 When raising your concerns, we recommend that you provide the following information:

  • Details of the time and date of incident, or the period of time which your concerns relate to;
  • Description of events, or details of specific complaint. You should include, names, course details,      locations and any relevant information which help to establish the facts of the incident or issue;
  • Details of any witnesses, if appropriate;
  • Evidence to support your concerns (if possible provide this at the time of the complaint, or state if and what evidence you are waiting for);
  • Describe the impact on you;
  • What outcome you are seeking as a result of the complaint.


There is no need to complete a complaint form at this stage.


We do not keep formal records at this stage, but suggest that you retain emails and any other information, in case you need them to support a future formal complaint.  

You may be asked to meet with the member of staff looking into your complaint and are encouraged to use this opportunity to discuss your concerns. This will enable them to have a greater understanding of what your concerns are and for you to understand what can (and cannot) be done to resolve your issues. You may wish to seek further support from the Student’s Union Advice centre before attending the meeting.