Student halls with flowers

Get help when you live in halls

Find out about maintenance and repairs, cleaning, recycling, heating and what to do if you lose your keys.

Guide to Living in Halls 2019/20

The Residential Services team are here to help you deal with any issues while you live in halls. The Guide to Living in Halls and the information on these pages are a useful and quick reference to answer any questions or concerns you may have.  


Hall Reception contact details

If you've got a question or problem, speak with your Halls Receptions. There are four Halls Receptions, each serving different Halls:  

Email Address -

 Hall ReceptionTelephone Number LocationOpening Hours 
The Hub - Gowar, Wedderburn, Reid, Runnymede 1&2, Williamson, Butler and Tuke.

01784 443285

Hub Guest House

Main entrance foyer

Monday to Sunday 7am - 10pm

George Eliot, Highfield and Penrose

01784 443440

George Eliot Centre, Block D

Ground floor reception

Monday to Friday 8am-10pm

Saturday & Sunday 9am - 5pm


01784 435331


Main entrance foyer

Monday to Sunday

7am - 10pm


01784 443052

Founders West room 40

Monday to Friday 8am-8pm

Saturday & Sunday 9am-5pm 


Room and flat doors should be locked continuously, just as you keep your front door at home locked.  Always ensure that you have your College Card and key (if separate) with you at all times. Take care not to leave your keys lying around or lose them, as this will result in you being temporarily locked out of your accommodation.

If you lose your key or College Card please report it to your Hall Reception immediately. There is a charge for replacement of keys, locks and your College Card.

Maintenance and repairs

To keep Halls and rooms to the highest standards we carry out regular maintenance. This includes checking water quality, boiler checks, electrical testing and servicing feminine hygiene bins. We will email you when these checks are happening, giving reasonable notice if we have to enter your room. If anything is broken or damaged in your room, report it to your Hall Reception as soon as possible.

For urgent issues such as power outage or major leaks, the Maintenance team will attend within 24 hours. For all other issues they will attend within five working days, outlined in your service agreement. Maintenance response times are outlined in the College’s maintenance services agreement document.

Keeping things clean

Residential services are available to help and advise you on how to keep your rooms and communal living areas clean and safe. The weekly cleaning and inspection schedule for each Hall is displayed on the kitchen or pantry notice board. This service supports your responsibility to keep your communal areas clean.

You’ll need to buy your own cleaning materials, however a vacuum cleaner, mop, bucket and dustpan and brush are available for your use. You’ll be expected to return your room, bathroom and all communal areas to the same condition as when you moved in. To ensure you are taking care of yourselves and looking after our accommodation, regular checks will be made by the Residential team during your stay (your Room Inspection dates are posted on the kitchen/pantry notice boards).

Details of the dates of room inspections for each hall can be found below.

Tuke, Butler and Williamson
Gowar and Wedderburn
George Eliot
Highfield and Penrose


If anything is broken or damaged in your room, report it to your Hall Reception as soon as possible. They will arrange for it to be attended to and where necessary fixed or replaced – do not to attempt to fix it yourself.

The maintenance team will respond as soon as they can. For urgent issues such as power outage or major water leak, the Maintenance team will attend as soon as possible and within 24 hours. For all other issues they will attend within five working days outlined in their service agreement. To find out more, ask at your Hall Reception.

We will take your request for a repair or maintenance as permission to enter your room to investigate or resolve the issue. Contractors and Maintenance staff will be identifiable by their uniform and identity cards, and we keep a record of when any member of staff enters a student’s room.

If you damage College property you will be charged for repairing or replacing items. By damage we mean any deterioration to the property over and above that which is accepted as ‘fair wear and tear’. Some damages are not immediately obvious, such as marks left on walls from Blu-tac or stains on mattresses, but these could still result in charges.  Please take a look at our Charges for damages document, for further details.


From time to time, it is natural that buildings will experience the presence of animals or insects that may be considered by some as pests. If you believe you have a pest problem involving rodents, birds or insects then please report it to your Hall Reception using our “Pest Control Guide” to provide accurate information to our team. 

Some insects are not pests and require management using a contractor. Some guidance is given below on how to deal with casual intruders to our buildings.

The rural nature of the University means the grounds provide an ideal environment for many insects and other wildlife species. Ladybirds, spiders, woodlice and silver fish are a few of the small insects who may seek a suitable environment in which to shelter and may enter rooms. Sometimes they gather in large numbers particularly around window sills and window frames and may be attracted to a bedroom window.  The most effective and environmentally friendly strategy for managing the ladybirds, spiders or insects is to vacuum them up as and when you see them in the same way that you would deal with them in your family home. As these insects are not pests and are a valuable part of the eco-system, the University will not undertake routine pest control treatments against them. The most effective means of control is for you to hoover them up when you notice them in your room as part of your weekly cleaning routine. 

Flies indicate poor cleanliness or housekeeping eg rotting fruit or an infrequently emptied bin. The solution to fly problems is frequent and thorough cleaning. Fruit flies are generally attracted to fruit or drink residues, for example in recycling bins. Empty food containers should be washed out and placed in lidded bins. The recycling bins must be emptied regularly and cleaned out. In a residence, this is the responsibility of the students. Black flies or blue bottles are attracted to general food waste and a female may lay eggs unnoticed which hatch out later when the conditions are right. Control is achieved by good housekeeping eg rubbish removal, bin cleanliness and opening windows to allow the flies to exit the room. The most effective means of control is for you to ensure food waste is regularly emptied, surfaces and bins are kept clean and that you include your communal kitchen or pantry in your weekly cleaning routine. 

Ants are generally attracted into our buildings by food spillages or residues, especially fizzy drinks and sugar based products. Rigorous cleaning and housekeeping is the first step in control. All foods should be kept in lidded containers or securely closed food packets. Cleaning up of food spillages or residues and immediate washing of utensils and crockery reduce the attraction to ants. However ants will also sometimes appear inside buildings where there is no obvious attraction eg in toilets. Report it to the Hall Reception if your initial cleaning appears not to be effective. 


During the colder months (normally October to April) all bedrooms are heated to maintain a minimum temperature of 18-19 degrees celsius.  During warmer months (normally May to September) the heating system is turned off.  If your building is too cold or too hot, firstly check if your radiator is on/off. If the radiator has a temperature controller, you can adjust it yourself.

After you’ve adjusted it, wait a few hours, and if you still find it too cold or hot then report it your Hall Reception. Housekeeping or one of the maintenance team will then come and check that the heating is working correctly within the set temperature levels. If you don’t have a control on your radiator, then contact your Hall Reception.

Useful advice on preventing condensation and mould building up in your room is detailed in this document.

Recyling, food and general waste

There is a mixed recycling bin in all kitchens with a clear plastic liner. This is for:

• Paper
• Card (except contaminated/used pizza boxes)
• Plastic cups, bottles, cartons, yoghurt pots etc.
• Drinks cans, food cans, aluminium trays and foil
• Domestic aerosol cans (not hazardous sprays such as insecticides)
• Clean food packaging.

Food waste can be put in the caddies provided in each kitchen. Please do not put oil or food down the sinks as this will cause blockages.

Glass can be placed into the kitchen/pantry glass sack to enable you carry your empty glass bottles and containers to your nearest waste/recycling pen.

You and your fellow residents are responsible for taking out the recycling as well as general and food waste to the waste collection area nearest to your Hall. Details of your nearest waste area is displayed on your kitchen or pantry notice board.

General waste should go in the general waste bin with a black plastic liner including sweet and chocolate wrappers, crisp packets and polystyrene.


If you are disturbed by noise levels, talk to the people who you think are responsible. Do this early on, before you become so distressed that you are liable to become unreasonable.

If you continue to be disturbed, contact your Hall Reception or Security directly, who will help you.

Lost property

If you lose something during term time, you can register it as lost or collect it from either your Hall Reception or from the Security team who are based in the security control centre in Founder’s East. Where an item has identifying marks we will attempt to find the owner. Unclaimed items are donated to charity at the end of each term, though some items (such as perishable items) are destroyed when necessary.

Advice during adverse weather conditions

Adverse weather from snow and ice to extreme heat can have a variety of impacts on the operational running of the College and also on students, staff and visitors as they aim to move around, attend lectures or meetings and go about their day-to-day activities.

Through our adverse weather policy, Royal Holloway, University of London, outlines the principles by which the College will act in the instance of an adverse weather incident. Royal Holloway’s aim is to minimise the impacts of the weather, to enable students, staff and visitors to move around campus safely, and where necessary to close down parts of campus for safety. Please take a look at our adverse weather procedure. 


If you have any issue relating to living in Halls which you are not able to resolve, talk with your Hall Reception or email them at



Find out more