Student halls with flowers

Get help with a problem in Halls

What to do when something gets broken or damaged; maintenance; cleaning; noise; temperature; what to do if your keys are lost or damaged; and who to contact with problems.

What to do when something gets broken or damaged

If anything is broken or damaged in your room, report it to your Hall Reception as soon as possible.  They will arrange for it to be fixed or replaced – do not to attempt to fix it yourself.

The maintenance team will respond as soon as they can. That means if it is urgent and doesn’t require immediate attention it should be fixed within 24 hours, if not it should be done within three working days. To find out more, ask at your Hall Reception for the service level agreement.

We will take your request for a repair or maintenance as permission to enter your room to investigate or resolve the issue. Contractors and Maintenance staff will be identifiable by their uniform and identity cards, and we keep a record of when any member of staff enters a student’s room.

If you damage College property you will be charged. By damage we mean any deterioration to the property over and above that which is accepted as ‘fair wear and tear’. Some damages are not immediately obvious, such as marks left on walls from Blu-tac or stains on a mattress, but these could still result in charges. See Charges for damage repairs and replacement items – PDF


To keep Halls and rooms to the highest standards we carry out regular maintenance. This includes checking water quality, boiler checks, electrical testing and servicing feminine hygiene bins. We will let you know by email when these checks are happening, giving you at least 48 hours’ notice if we have to enter your room.


If you have a query about the cleanliness of a communal area, please talk with your housekeeping team.

There is a Housekeeping team for each Halls who are available Monday to Friday between 8am and 4pm.

Founder’s Rosa Dias and Emmie Oleksiak Founder’s East 305 01784 443952
Gowar & Wedderburn Janet Parkes  Gowar H Block 01784 414651
Reid & Hub Salah Saleh Via Hub Reception 01784 414164
Runnymede I & II Runnymede Jeanette Tattam V Block Room v-8-04 01784 276298
Williamson, Butler & Tuke Lydia Gibbs Tuke F Block (in the basement) 01784 443795
Kingswood Valerie Wells Via Kingswood Reception 01784 435331
Highfield & Penrose Pat Ridley  Highfield Block One (down the steps) 01784 414056
George Eliot  Syafiq George Eliot Centre Reception Block D 01784 414056


If you are disturbed by noise levels, talk to the people who you think are responsible. Do this early on, before you become so distressed that you are liable to become unreasonable.

If you continue to be disturbed, contact your Hall Reception or Security directly, who will help you.


During the colder months (normally October to April) all bedrooms are heated to maintain a minimum temperature of 18 degrees centigrade.  During warmer months (normally May to September) the heating system is turned off.  If your room is too cold or too hot, firstly check if your radiator is on/off. If the radiator has a temperature control, you can adjust it yourself.

After you’ve adjusted it, wait a few hours, and if you still find it too cold or hot then report it your Hall Reception. Housekeeping or one of the maintenance team will then come and check that the heating is working correctly within the set temperature levels. If you don’t have a control on your radiator, then contact your Hall Reception.

Locked out? Lost your keys?

If you get locked out – talk to your Hall Reception and they will help you.

Due to the volume of electronic access card ‘lock-outs’, an administration charge will be applied upon the third lock-out. Please ensure that you are carrying your student access card before leaving your room, even if you are only going to the kitchen or bathroom, to avoid this charge.

If you lose your key or College Card please report it to your Hall Reception. There is a charge for replacement of keys, locks and your College Card. Due to the volume of electronic access card ‘lock-outs’, an administration charge will be applied upon the third lock-out.

If you lose something during term time, you can register it as lost or collect it from either your

Hall Reception or from the Security team who are based in Founder’s. Where an item has identifying marks we will attempt to find the owner. Unclaimed items are donated to charity at the end of each term.


If you have any issue relating to living in Halls talk with your Hall Reception in the first instance.  There are four Hall Receptions, each serving different Halls of Residence. They are all here to help and advise you about anything to do with your room including maintenance issues, lost keys and lock outs.

Founder’s Founder’s West room 40 Monday to Friday 8am – 8pm
Weekends 9am – 5pm
01784 443052
The Hub
(Gowar, Wedderburn Reid, the Hub, Runnymede I & II, Williamson, Butler & Tuke)
Hub Hotel main entrance foyer Monday to Sunday 7am – 10pm 01784 443285
George Eliot, Highfield & Penrose George Eliot Centre Block D - ground floor reception Monday to Sunday 7am –10pm 01784 443440
Kingswood Kingswood main entrance foyer Monday to Sunday 7am – 10pm 01784 435331

You can also email your Hall Reception at

Find out more