We use cookies on this site. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Close this message Find out more

More in this section Study Abroad


Follow our step-by-step guide to apply as a Study Abroad student:

Step 1: Entry requirements

Before you make an application to study abroad at Royal Holloway, you should check you meet the minimum entry requirements given below:

Academic requirements

Study Abroad applicants are normally required to have completed at least one year of university study by the time they enrol at Royal Holloway. The minimum entry requirement for most departments at Royal Holloway is equivalent to a cumulative GPA of 3.0 (out of 4.0). However, the departments of History, English and Drama & Theatre normally ask for a GPA of 3.3 out of 4.0. Other specific requirements for particular course units are provided in the Departmental Course Options. 

English Language requirements

If English is not your first language, and you have not previously studied in an English-speaking environment, you will normally be asked to provide information on your level of English. The minimum standard level of English required for direct entry onto credit-bearing courses is:

IELTS: 6.5 overall (with no subscore below 5.5)
Pearson: 61 (with 54 in writing and no subscore below 51)

If your level falls between IELTS 6.0-6.5, and you are applying to start in September, you should consider selecting either the 4 week or 8 week

Masters students

If you are a Masters student and you would like to study abroad at Royal Holloway, we would also welcome your application.

To apply as a Masters student, please check the information available on postgraduate courses on the individual departmental websites and then contact the Study Abroad team directly regarding course choices.  Please disregard Step 2 of the application process below.  You will however need to apply using the online application form in Step 3.


Step 2: Choose your courses

A wide variety of courses are available for study abroad students and in most cases you will be studying alongside degree-seeking students. Due to the popularity of certain courses, some departments have a restricted ability to accept study abroad applications. Courses must be chosen from the Departmental Course Options for visiting students and you should read the accompanying advice before making your selection.

The courses indicated on your Visiting Students Application Form are requested courses only. All courses are subject to suitability and availability and the College is unable to guarantee that a student will be admitted onto the requested courses.

In order to cover the eventuality that selected courses may be full, unavailable, or unsuitable, students staying for the full year should select courses totalling 5-6 course units or more. Students staying for Term 1 only or Terms 2 and 3 should select courses totalling 3-4 course units.  You should consult with your Study Abroad Advisor when making your course choices.

Step 3: Complete an application online

To register and apply please go to Royal Holloway Direct.

In addition to the application form, you will need to submit the required supporting documents:

  • An authorised transcript of your university studies
  • Two academic references
  • An English translation of your transcript (if necessary)
  • Proof of your English language proficiency (if necessary - see entry requirements)    
  • A photocopy of the personal details page of your passport

Incomplete applications cannot be considered. Original copies of supporting documents cannot be returned.

Alternatively, students from the USA can also apply to Royal Holloway through either Arcadia University, College of Global Studies or the Institute for Study Abroad at Butler University. These institutions offer two of the world’s leading student placement services and have extensive experience of advising students on study abroad. Their advisors are also familiar with study abroad at Royal Holloway. Please ask your advisor to let us know about your upcoming application through the Partner Universities Nomination Form.

Deadline for receipt of applications:

  • 24 May for September starters
  • 24 October for January starters

Please note that applications will not be accepted after this deadline.

Step 4: Accept your Offer and Study Plan

  • You will be sent an offer by email. This is an offer for a place to study at Royal Holloway, subject to satisfactory agreement of your course choices. You will be able to register on the accommodation portal once you have accepted this offer.
  • Your course choices will then be sent to each relevant academic department for their consideration. They reserve the right to reject you on a particular course and suggest suitable alternatives where available, if you have not completed suitable previous studies or if  classes are full. We will contact you if additional information or documentation is required.
  • Once your course choices have been approved, you will be sent your Study Plan to accept. In most cases these will be the courses that you will take, but very occasionally slight changes need to be made during your first week on campus, due to timetable clashes or other unforeseen circumstances.

Step 5: Applying for Accommodation

As a Study Abroad student, you are guaranteed accommodation in a number of our halls of residence, providing you apply before the published deadline.  Some of the halls are self-catered, which means that there is a shared kitchen for you to cook your own meals; others are catered pay-as-you-go.  Most rooms are single-occupancy study bedrooms, many with private bathroom facilities and all have full internet access.  You can find further information on the Accommodation webpages. Applications received after the deadline will normally be processed, but availability of college accommodation cannot be guaranteed. 

Masters students may apply for accommodation, providing they will be staying for a whole term or the whole academic year. 

All enquiries relating to accommodation should be sent directly to StudentAccommodation@rhul.ac.uk

Further advice

Please check the email address provided in your application regularly.  We recommend that you disable spam filters or add the Royal Holloway domain name to a 'safe list' to ensure that messages from Royal Holloway are not classified as junk mail.

Please check the information on our web pages here on applying for a student visa, as it is your responsibility to check the visa requirements for entry clearance to study in the UK.

Academic term dates can be found here.  Autumn term move-in dates are usually the Saturday or Sunday before the first day of term.  Spring term move-in date is usually the Thursday before the first day of term.


Contact us

Need help with your application? Email:




English Language Support

We offer several opportunities for non-native English speakers to seek language support and improve their English language skills.

If your overall IELTS score is below 6.5, you may have to take an English language course before starting your period of study at Royal Holloway:

If English is not your native language, you may consider taking English language courses during your period of study to further develop your English language level and academic study skills, such as:

  • Academic English for International Students
  • Contemporary Britain courses

Comment on this page

Did you find the information you were looking for? Is there a broken link or content that needs updating? Let us know so we can improve the page.

Note: If you need further information or have a question that cannot be satisfied by this page, please call our switchboard on +44 (0)1784 434455.

This window will close when you submit your comment.

Add Your Feedback