We use cookies on this site. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Close this message Find out more

Home > Study abroad & exchanges > Visiting research students
More in this section Visiting research students

Visiting research students

Research (PhD) students may apply to work with a particular academic department either  to increase the department's research output or to further an academic collaboration.

Follow our step-by-step guide for further details on how to apply:

Step 1: Are you eligible to apply?

To be eligible to apply, you must be invited by a Royal Holloway academic who has agreed to supervise you and agreed the length of your stay with their head of department.  If you have not yet been invited, please look at the research sections of our departmental webpages to consider whether an application would be appropriate.  If so, please contact the relevant academic directly in the first instance.

Step 2: Apply

Once your period of research has been approved by the academic department, you will then receive an invite with a unique link to our application form for Guest Research students. This is separate from our Postgraduate Research application form, so please wait until you have received the link so that you apply using the correct form. Your student record and access to student support services are enabled after application is processed. If you have any questions about applying or the status of your application, please get in touch with our Admissions team.

Step 3: Check your fees

The fee for Research students for 2017-18 is £340 per month.  In some cases, academic departments will agree to waive these fees and they will notify you directly if this is the case.  All other Visiting Research Students will be billed accordingly.

Step 4: Accommodation

Campus accommodation is not normally available to Visiting Research Students, but our Accommodation team will be happy to advise you on how to use the House Search portal to find suitable accommodation locally.  Please contact them directly at StudentAccommodation@rhul.ac.uk .

Students Crosslands Quad

Are you a current Royal Holloway student or applying to study at Royal Holloway and considering an academic year abroad at one of our partner universities in Europe (Erasmus) or outside Europe (International Exchange)? If so,


Comment on this page

Did you find the information you were looking for? Is there a broken link or content that needs updating? Let us know so we can improve the page.

Note: If you need further information or have a question that cannot be satisfied by this page, please call our switchboard on +44 (0)1784 434455.

This window will close when you submit your comment.

Add Your Feedback