Now that the campus is closed for research and we all have to socially isolate, many of you will be adapting to working on your research remotely. We therefore wanted to share with you some advice to help support you through this unsettling time.
- Coronavirus - It is important that you prioritise your health and well-being, and those of your loved-ones. Make sure that you keep updated on the UK government’s advice on COVID-19 and follow their guidance. If you are feeling unwell, please let your supervisor know.
- Take exercise – there are also plenty of ideas for exercises you can do at home on the NHS website as well as exercise classes on Zoom, Instagram and YouTube.
- Stay socially connected virtually - practising physical distancing can make you feel isolated, but you are not alone. Make sure you use FaceTime, Skype, WhatsApp, Zoom, Houseparty or other networking apps to keep in touch your friends, family and peers from afar.
- Establish a daily routine - maintaining a routine and structure can be really beneficial for your mental health. Set boundaries to your working day and take regular breaks.
There are many virtual ways that you can remain connected to your supervisors and fellow postgraduate researchers while you are working remotely:
- For regular meetings - Zoom, MS Teams, Skype.
- For collaboratibe working - Slack
- For setting tasks for a group - Trello
Set up a WhatsApp or Facebook group for groups of friends and family or fellow postgraduate researchers to keep in touch.
Your supervisors are here to help you continue or adapt your postgraduate research as you require. Having online meetings with them helps to support your routine, and helps you to address any issues that may arise through the circumstances created by coronavirus. By speaking to your supervisors regularly, you can discuss any changes with them first and get the confidence you need to continue or adapt your research programme as needed.
IT software and security are important. Make sure that you install and update appropriate anti-virus software and Multi Factor Authentication (for use with college email system).
Don’t suffer alone if you are struggling academically, emotionally or financially. Besides the support your supervisory team can give you: