First point of contact for international students with immigration queries and needing support.
Find out more
- Ensures that the University complies with its UKVI obligations as a Tier 4 / Student Route visa sponsor.
- Issues new CASs for continuing international students whose Tier 4 / Student Route visa has expired.
- Is required to curtail a Tier 4 / Student Route visa if a student does not comply with their visa obligations.
- Although the Doctoral School does not have the expertise to provide immigration advice, it:
- sign-posts you to the relevant information source
- flags to you any immigration considerations if you wish to change your registration (e.g. interrupt)
- monitors that Tier 4 / Student Route visa postgraduate researchers are engaging with their studies, in line with their visa obligations, and reports this to Student Administration
- Please copy in the Doctoral School to any correspondence with Student Administration regarding immigration matters.
During your studies
Your main contact for immigration advice during your studies is the International Student Support Office (ISSO).
Please also view the immigration advice on the College website.
If you are in receipt of a Tier 4 / Student Route visa sponsored by Royal Holloway, it is a requirement of your visa that you engage with your studies. Your supervisor is asked to confirm your engagement every two months.
The University has a legal responsibility to report any student admitted to the University on a Tier 4 / Student Route visa who does not appear to be meeting the engagement requirements to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI). Therefore, if you fail to meet UKVI visa requirements and/or fail to respond to informal and formal warnings from the College in this regard, you could have your sponsorship withdrawn, your visa cancelled and your registration with the College terminated.
If you have any concerns about your ability to engage e.g. due to illness, please contact the International Student Support Office as soon as possible for advice: InternationalAdvice@rhul.ac.uk
You can find information and advice on working during your studies while you hold a Tier 4 / Student Route visa here.
You can find advice on travelling during your studies while you hold a Tier 4 / Student Route visa here.
If you already have a student visa to study at Royal Holloway and need to extend this to continue your studies you first need to apply for a new Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) before you can apply for your new visa. You can request a CAS online here.
For support with the process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find out more
If you interrupt your studies, Royal Holloway will withdraw its sponsorship for the duration of the interruption and you are obliged by the Home Office to leave the UK for this period. Before you return from interruption, you will need to apply for a new visa.
Find out more about renewing your visa
In exceptional circumstances, you may be permitted an authorised absence for a period less than 60 days:
- Under this type of authorised absence you are permitted to remain in the UK for the duration but this will impact the amount of leave remaining on your visa to complete your studies.
- Authorised absence must be approved in the same way as an interruption.
- To discuss the authorised absence process please contact email@example.com.
If your submission deadline has been extended due to extenuating circumstances, please be aware that this does not affect your visa expiry date. If you need to extend your visa, please follow the steps outlined above.
If you were required to provide an ATAS certificate in order to first join your course and are requesting an extension to your submission, corrections or resubmission deadline, then you MUST ensure you have spoken to our International Student Support Office at firstname.lastname@example.org before making your application, otherwise your visa may become invalid immediately.
The Doctoral School will need to see confirmation that you ahve done this before your request will be processed.
If you are on an ATAS bearing course but are requesting an extension to your upgrade deadline, then this does not have any bearing on your visa.
For further advice and guidance on ATAS certification and the impact of this on your visa, please contact our International Student Support Office at email@example.com
If you are sponsored by Royal Holloway on a Tier 4 / Student Route visa, you must inform Student Administration (cc Doctoral School) via the relevant form below BEFORE you travel abroad for research or study.
If you are unsure which form to complete, please contact the International Student Support Office for advice.
If you are sponsored on a student visa by Royal Holloway and not yet in your writing up year:
- Tier 4 / Student Route visa - studying outside of the UK form
- Royal Holloway can continue sponsoring you when you go abroad for research (study) as long as your supervisor approves the absence and confirms that they will maintain contact for the duration of the trip. Your permission to stay in the UK will remain current and you will be allowed to return to the UK without having to apply again for a new Student Route visa.
If you are sponsored on a student visa by Royal Holloway, in your writing up year and need to return to the UK after your study trip abroad to complete your study / research:
- Tier 4 / Student Route visa - writing up outside of the UK form
- Royal Holloway can continue sponsoring you when you go abroad for study during your writing up year as long as your supervisor confirms that you will be required to return to the UK to access resources and facilities and confirms that they will maintain contact for the duration of the trip. Your permission to stay in the UK will remain current and you will be allowed to return to the UK without having to apply again for a new Student Route visa.
If you are sponsored on a student visa by Royal Holloway, in your writing up year and are returning to your home country to complete your dissertation or writing period:
Advice from UKCISA (UK Council for International Student Affairs)
After your studies
Read about your immigration options after your studies here
Find out more about the Graduate Route
If you have any queries regarding this, please contact International Student Support Office for advice.