General guidance for staff on extension and interruption requests
Guidance notes on vivas by video conference
Extension of upgrade, submission or re-submission/corrections deadline requests
- If the student is requesting an extension to one of the above deadlines, student and supervisor complete the Extension to deadline request form (N.B. - requests for Maternity, paternity or adoption leave do not need to be submitted via the online PGR request form; they should be submitted directly to the Doctoral School)
- Supervisor collates supporting evidence (e.g. proof of extenuating circumstances - see the Extenuating circumstances - guidance for students for details of the type of documentation which is required to support such requests.
- If the student is externally funded, supervisor checks the impact of the request on their studentship
- Supervisor submits the request via the Online PGR request form, uploading the Extension to deadline request form (if applicable) and the supporting evidence. Evidence must be in English.
NOTE: A fee is chargeable for extensions on first submission of the thesis or dissertation only. There is no extension fee associated with upgrade or corrections/re-submission extensions.
NOTE: If the student is on an ATAS bearing course and is requesting an extension to either submission, corrections or resubmission deadline, then they MUST discuss their request with the International Student Support Office prior to application, otherwise an extension will invalidate their visa and right to study immediately.
Other types of suspension of regulations requests (i.e. not extension of a deadline)
- Supervisor collates supporting evidence as appropriate (e.g. proof of extenuating circumstances - see the Extenuating circumstances - guidance for students for details of the type of documentation which is required to support such requests.
- Supervisor submits the request via the Online PGR request form, uploading the supporting evidence as appropriate.
- The form must be completed by a member of staff, usually the supervisor.
- The online form does not allow you to save your session, so pasting written comments from a Word document is advisable if longer comments are required. You can preview the form here to see what to expect.
- The online form will require you to upload evidence of extenuating circumstances in a single electronic file (e.g. a single .pdf). You may need to scan the evidence to produce a single file to upload if there are several separate documents which are relevant to the case in question.
- Once the completed form has been submitted, you will receive an email notification with the submission detail for your records.