General guidance for staff on extension and interruption requests
Guidance notes on vivas by video conference
Overview of request process
- If the student is requesting an interruption or extension to submission deadline, student and supervisor complete the Extension / interruption of studies request form (N.B. - requests for Maternity, paternity or adoption leave do not need to be submitted via the online PGR request form; they should be submitted directly to the Doctoral School)
- Supervisor collates supporting evidence (e.g. proof of extenuating circumstances - see the Extenuating circumstances - guidance for students for details of the type of documentation which is required to support such requests.
- If the student is externally funded, supervisor checks the impact of the request on their studentship
- Supervisor submits the request via the Online PGR request form, uploading the Extension / Interruption of studies request form (if applicable) and the supporting evidence
- The form must be completed by a member of staff, usually the supervisor.
- The online form does not allow you to save your session, so pasting written comments from a Word document is advisable if longer comments are required. You can preview the form here to see what to expect.
- The online form will require you to upload evidence of extenuating circumstances in a single electronic file (e.g. a single .pdf). You may need to scan the evidence to produce a single file to upload if there are several separate documents which are relevant to the case in question.
- Once the completed form has been submitted, you will receive an email notification with the submission detail for your records.