- You must complete sections A to C of the online form and submit.
- You must upload all supporting documentary evidence regarding the circumstances pertaining to your request to interrupt.
- You will be required to provide your College email address to commence this form.
Section A - Student details
This will require your basic details including your student ID number, programme of studies and supervisor details.
Section B - Details of your request
This will require details including the dates for your request, (both start and return from interruption as agreed with your supervisor); the reason for the request including all supporting documentary evidence; details of your progress to date and a timeline for the completion of your research, as discussed with your supervisor.
The online form does not allow you to save your session, so pasting written comments from a Word document is advisable where longer comments are required. You can preview the form here to see what to expect.
The online form will require you to upload evidence of extenuating circumstances in a single electronic file (e.g. a single .pdf). You may need to scan the evidence to produce a single file to upload if there are several separate documents which are relevant to the case in question. If you have any problems with this, please contact us. All evidence must be in English.
You should prepare the following in advance of starting the form, as this should be checked with your supervisor / Departmental PGR Lead before being pasted onto the relevant field in the form:
- The rationale for your request;
- A detailed account of your progress to date, e.g. details of which chapters have been written and/or seen by your supervisor;
- A detailed month by month timetable for the completion of your work, including deadlines for each chapter/element, and when this work will be seen by your supervisor.
If your request is for a Suspension of Regulations, i.e. a request for interruption in the writing up year, interruption over 24 months or retrospective interruption, you must indicate this on the form and provide supporting documentary evidence to fully explain the need for such a request. A request for a Suspension of regulations will not be considered if an application is submitted without any evidence.
Section C - Student's confirmation
This will require your confirmation that you have read, understood and acted on the advice as set out in these guidelines.
By submitting your form you are confirming that you would like the Doctoral School to start processing your request, in line with the process guidance provided above, and all the information you have provided on the form is true and correct.
You will receive an automated confirmation email, along with a copy of the details of your form once your application has been successfully submitted.
Tips for completing the form
It is advisable that you follow the steps below in order to ensure you submit your request successfully:
- Use Google Chrome to access the form;
- Delete cached data and cookies before you start completing the form;
- When navigating through the form, use the ‘Previous’/ ‘Next’ buttons at the bottom of the page rather than the ‘Return’ arrow of the browser.