Whether you’re at the ‘Evaluate’, ‘Explore’ or ’Enact’ stage of your career journey, finding a job on campus is a convenient and effective way of adding valuable employment skills and responsibilities, which can then be evidenced in your Passport Award scheme.
If you can’t find what you’re looking for or simply want a chat about your career journey, why not book a one-to-one appointment with a Careers Consultant online or at the Careers & Employability Service in the Davison building?
Competition tends to be high, so you should try not to restrict your job hunt to the confines of the college. Working for a local employer can give you broad experience, and may even lead to full-time work during the vacations.
You may also find it useful to attend our Part-time Jobs Fair, held in September and January of each academic year. Here, lots of employers come on campus with permanent positions and casual vacancies ready to fill. To find out more visit the Fairs page.
The Careers & Employability Service is available to help you find employment, but we do not directly place students. Securing an on-campus job will require you to take initiative, just like finding one off-campus.
It is important to remember that if you are a current student wishing to work part-time during term-time, then you should work no more than 20 hours a week. Anything over this is likely to interfere with your studies. International students are subject to the terms of their student visa.
Below is a list of jobs that students traditionally hold at Royal Holloway. Not all of these jobs are currently available, and not all will recruit on an annual basis (most only have vacancies when their student employees leave or graduate). Check the relevant ‘availability’ section to determine whether or not the department has open positions.
Jobs available on campus
Department: Conferencing and Catering
- Roles available: Bar Staff, Catering Assistants, Baristas, Silver Service Staff, Conference Assistants (vacation periods)
- Number of positions available: 300
- Recruitment Details: Recruitment usually takes place following A-level results day and in the spring term. Vacancies are advertised via posters and/or flyers in all catering outlets and poster boards across campus. To apply please email a recent CV alongside a covering letter to the contact email address.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Department: Customer Services Team
- Roles available: Various positions in Customer Services. Candidates need to be prepared to work ‘unsociable hours’ i.e. evenings and weekends.
- Number of positions: 10
- Recruitment details: Recruitment occurs when current staff leave. Vacancies advertised via posters in halls of residence. Short-term opportunities are available for welcome weekend and week leading up to it in September. CVs can also be handed in at reception points.
- Contact: CustomerServicevacancies@rhul.ac.uk
Department: IT Services
- Roles available: IT Assistants. Hours – varied
- Number of positions: up to 10
- Recruitment details: Recruitment takes place throughout the year as the need arises. Team membership and requirements are reviewed in May/June, but there may be a need to recruit at other times of the year.
- If you are IT literate, a technical capable problem solver and have excellent communication skills please make an initial enquiry by contacting email@example.com
If you're interested in helping others and gaining valuable experience, you may want to consider registering as a volunteer. Volunteering is a great way to get involved in different activities, learn new skills and build your confidence and CV, all while helping local people. Register here.
Department: Library Services
- Roles available: Evening / Weekend Assistants
- Number of positions: 7
- Recruitment details: Recruitment usually takes place in July / August, but there may be a need to recruit at other times of the year.
- Vacancies are advertised via the main jobs portal. Desirable skills for this role are good customer service or previous library experience, IT literacy, good communication skills, commitment and reliability.
Department: (Library) Stock Management Assistants
- Roles available: Stock Management Assistants
- Number of positions: 8 (flexible)
- Recruitment Details: Recruitment usually takes place in the middle of September, but there may be a need to recruit at other times of the year. Vacancies are advertised on the Royal Holloway Jobs page. Desirable skills are customer service or previous library experience, numerical literacy, commitment and reliability.
Department: Student Administration
- Roles available: Enrolment (Welcome Week) Assistants, Exam Invigilators, Graduation Assistants
- Number of positions: 140.
- (Majority only during exams, which is only open to PGR.)
- Recruitment Details: Recruitment starts in early spring term ahead of exams and again in summer term ahead of graduation. Vacancies are advertised via posters and the College Website.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Department: Students’ Union
- Co-ordinator roles: the Students' Union has two permanent roles on their Student Voice and Student Opportunities teams that may be of interest to some soon-to-be graduates! Apply for the roles Societies and Media Groups Coordinator and Academic Representation Coordinator by Sunday 9 June. Apply here.
- Venue Management roles: If you're graduating this summer and have a passion for venue management, The Packhorse is on the lookout for a new Assistant Manager, while the Students' Union Venues team are seeking two part-time Duty Managers. Apply here.
- Roles available: Bar Staff, Security Staff, Tech Crew, Union Shop Assistants, Promotional Staff, Photographers, Graphic Designers, Helpdesk Assistants, SSHH Bus Drivers.
- Number of positions: Approx. 200
- Recruitment Details: Recruitment usually takes place during September/October and March/April. Vacancies are advertised via the Students’ Union website.
- To apply, you need to go to their web site and then click on ‘Work With Us’. This will take you to all of their current vacancies.
- Contact: SURecruitment@su.rhul.ac.uk
Department: International Student Support Office
- Roles available: Airport Student Ambassador
- Number of positions: 10
- Recruitment Details: Students work on Welcome Weekend in September greeting new international students at Heathrow. Recruitment takes place in the summer term for the coming September.
- Contact: email@example.com
Join the RH100
- The RH100 panel is a large focus group made up of 100 students from across Royal Holloway. RH100 helps to ensure that a range of views are considered in relation to developments around campus and provide insights that help us to test ideas, develop our thinking and inform how we shape the College for the future.
Find out more information:
Comprehensive Part-time work information