Gowar and Wedderburn_DSC3440

Council Tax

Are you exempt from paying Council Tax?

What is Council Tax?

Council Tax is a tax paid by residents of properties in England, Wales and Scotland. It’s collected by local authorities to help fund their services, including refuse collection and recycling, maintenance of parks and open spaces, street cleaning and the police and other emergency services.

Do I have to pay Council Tax?

If you live in College accommodation , or in a house where everyone is classed as a full-time student, you don’t need to pay Council Tax.

You’ll usually be considered a full-time student for Council Tax purposes if you are enrolled on a course lasting for at least one academic or calendar year – for which you are normally required to attend for at least 24 weeks out of the year and to study for at least 21 hours a week during term time.

Where can I get a letter to prove my status?

When you start your course, or if you move during your studies, you might receive a bill or letter from your local council about paying council tax. To prove your status all you need to do is submit a copy of your Student Status Certificate. Simply download the certificate from the Enrolment tab of your Campus Connect account and email or post a printed copy of the document to your local council. Remember to print the document on a colour printer or it might look like a photocopy!

More information about Council Tax

You can read more about council tax and who is liable to pay it on the Gov.uk website.

The National Union of Student (NUS) also provides council tax advice for students.