Image goes here

Student communities

We have a richly diverse campus community and understand the broad range of needs of our student population

Royal Holloway has a richly diverse campus community and we understand the broad range of needs of our student population.  We are strengthened by diversity, and welcome students who travel from all over the world to study here ensuring an international and multi-cultural perspective with a close knit campus community. Find out more about the support available to you and how to contact peer support networks facilitated by the Students' Union.

Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) students

We are committed to supporting students from all backgrounds, to fostering an inclusive community and to work with students to understand the challenges faced by BAME students.  We continue to develop our services to ensure we understand your issues and lived experiences

Contact: Student Wellbeing or SU Advice Centre or International Student Support

Peer Support: BAME students collective


Care Leavers

Support for care leavers begins in advance of joining the university and prospective students should be made aware of the support we offer via the Propel website.  We encourage students to get in touch with our named contact prior to arrival to ensure everything is in place with their student loan and to address any concerns they may have about transition to university.  Following results and confirmation of place care leavers are contacted to formally introduce the named contact (our Student Financial Advice Manager) and to arrange a meeting during their first weekend or week on campus.  Follow up contact is made with anyone who has initially chosen not to engage early in term one.  Interaction after this point will continue based on your personal preference but all will receive communication at key points in the year (e.g a remidner to re-apply for your student loan, or in advance of assessments and exams).

Contact: Student Financial Advice Manager



A carer is someone who has a commitment to providing unpaid care to a family memer or friend who could not manage without their support. This could be because of an illness, disability, mental health condition or substance misues.  Caring responsibilities can be short term (e.g supporting someone after an accident or operation) or long term (e.g assisting someone with a long term illness).

If you have responsibility as a carer we recognise that you may have a number of conflicting priorities and time pressures and may require some additional support. This could include financial help, support with managing your workload and deadlines, or even help with your own health and wellbeing.

 Contact: Student Wellbeing and Financial Wellbeing


Commuting students

Royal Holloway is ideally placed for travelling to and from if you live in the south east of England and we provide support and opportunities to help make commuting to university an alternative to living in student accommodation. You can find more information about support if you are commuting to campus on the website.

Contact Student Wellbeing or Financial Wellbeing or SU Advice Centre

Peer support: Commuting students collective


Disabled students 

The Disability & Dyslexia Services team are here to support all students who have disclosed a disability, long standing medical condition or specific learning difficulty or metnal health condition to us.  The welcoming team will provide advice and guidance to students and our advisers will help co-ordinate the right support for you including liaising with external providers or support services for specialised support.

Contact: Disability & Dyslexia Services

Peer support:  Disabled students collective


Estranged students

Estranged students are those who are studying without the support and / or approval of a family network.  Students in this situation often have no contact at all with their family and have often removed themselves from a dysfunctional home situation. Estranged students often report feeling unacknowledged and stigmatised around their personal family circumstances.  We want to ensure estranged students feel able to access support and advice at all times.

Contact: Student Wellbeing or Financial Wellbeing 


International students

We are one of the most international universities in the UK and students from more than 130 countries live and study here  We have a dedicated international student support office who can assist with a range of queries including advice on visas, opening a bank account, working in the UK, life in the UK and much more.

Contact: International Student Support

Peer support: International students collective


LGBTQ+ students

Student life can be stressful and challenging at times and LBGTQ+ students often have additional concerns related to worries about coming out, their mental health, or reconciling their sexuality with their identity and / or gender. Our teams are here to provide support and advice and there is an active SU society and collective for peer support and social activities. 

Contact: Student Wellbeing or SU Advice Centre or Student Counselling

Peer Support: LGBT+ students collective


Local community 

Many students chose to live in private sector housing in the local communities of Englefield Green and Egham during their time at the university. We take being a good neighbour seriously; encouraging all students living or passing through the local community to follow our Be a Good Neighbour guidelines so we are all working together to maintain a harmonious community. Our support teams are here to support you if you are living in the local community and experience issues with your neighbours, your housemates or have questions about living in the private rental sector 

Information about how to Be A Good Neighbour.

Students' Union Housing Advice 

Contact: Community Wellbeing or SU Advice Centre


Mature students 

University is not just for school-leavers because every year, thousands of mature students who have spent a number of years outside of education, choose to develop their lives and careers by going into Higher Education. Royal Holloway has a long tradition of welcoming mature students and recognises that the experiences and expectations mature students have can differ to those who have gone to university straight from school.  A mature student is officially anyone over the age of 21 and while there is no such thing as a typical mature student, they often share similar experiences and concerns.

Information for mature students

Contact: Student Wellbeing or Financial Wellbeing 


Students with children . responsibility for children 

University There are many reasons why mature students choose to go to university including career progression, to satisfy a lifelong ambition or through a sense of new opportunity.  You may have commitments to work and family and will have to balance these with your studies. You may also be clearer on your motivation for going to university having spent time in the workplace or raising a family. Some of you may never have thought about going to university before refreshing or learning new skills on, for example, an Access to Higher Education course.

Contact: Student Wellbeing or the SU Advice Centre 

Contact: Student Wellbeing or the SU Advice Centre



Under 18's (at the commencement of studies)

The university is aware that legislation and case-law indicates that the univeristy may have a different duty of care towards students who are minors at the point of entry onto their courses. Our Admissions team share details of students who will be under the age of 18 at the commencement of their studies and we ask students and their parents / supporters to complete an information form which will be stored only until the student's 18th birthday.  In an adult learning community we are not in a position to offer substantial extra care, support or surveillance to students under the age of majority and does not act in loco parentis (i.e we well not fulfil the duties normally undertaken by a parent).  If a parent wishes for their student to receive additional care, support or oversight they must personally make arrangements and take responsbility for its provision.

Support for under 18's

Contact: Student Advisory & Wellbeing  


For general inormation or questions please contact either Student Advisory & Wellbeing or the Students' Union Advice Centre.




Header Here

Text here