Founder's Building and the Windsor Building from the a

Be a good neighbour

Support for off-campus students, recycling and other advice

We strongly encourage all students living or passing through the local community to follow our Be A Good Neighbour guidelines so that we are all working together to maintain a harmonious, happy community.

Be a Good Neighbour

  • Seek to develop a friendly relationship with your neighbours when you move in and introduce yourselves to them early on.  
  • If problems arise try to talk the issues through and sort them out amicably.
  • If you are doing okay but others down the street are causing large-scale problems, talk to someone in the Student Wellbeing team or the Students' Union Student Support Adviser (Housing) to see if we can find a way to defuse the situation.
  • If you do find yourself involved in a dispute with neighbours, e-mail or come in and talk to us as soon as possible.  
  • We will always support the amicable resolution of problems.

For information and advice please read our Be a Good Neighbour guide.

Please take care...

Royal Holloway is committed to maintaining the best possible relationship with the local community. We are also aware that the vast majority of our students contribute greatly and in many ways to the local community and local economy. 

The university respects the independence of its students; it is not our job to supervise the behaviour of people who are legally adults.

The tiny minority of students who wilfully or repeatedly upset local residents by unreasonable behaviour are not only making life difficult for those around them, they are also harming the university and disadvantaging future students.

The university works closely with Surrey Police and the Runnymede Borough Council Environmental Health team to ensure those responsible for serious anti-social behaviour are clearly identified. If it is officially substantiated that students are behaving in a way that is damaging to the university reputation or causing significant impact on the community students may be called to a minor misconduct hearing dor a suspected breach of the Student Conduct Regulations.

Community living information & resources for students 

We strongly encourage all students living or passing through the local community to follow our Be A Good Neighbour guidelines so that we are all working together to maintain a harmonious, happy community.  

We also publish an A-Z guide to living in the private sector.

Runnymede Borough Council: Guidance for students living in shared houses in Runnymede.

Runnymede Borough Council Private Sector Housing team can help with some aspects of student housing in the local community. They have produced guidance leaflet for students living in shared houses in Runnymede which you may find useful. If you wish to contact them you can email the private sector housing team. 

University of London: Student Housing guide

University of London Housing Services have also produced a guide to all aspects of private sector housing - planning to look for private sector housing, searching for a suitable property, moving in and resolving issues. 

Students' Union Housing information.  

The SU advice team have online advice for all aspects of housing - looking, living and leaving.  

How to report community concerns: 

Runnymede Borough Council, Environmental Health, Surrey Police and Royal Holloway, University of London work closely in partnership to respond to community concerns.  Our joint leaflet explains what each organisation can tackle and how to raise concerns with the relavant authority.  


Student Wellbeing (Community), Student Advisory & Wellbeing

Advice Centre, Royal Holloway Students' Union 


Refuse and recycling

For all student households in Runnymede