The UK Police, Ambulance and Fire Services can be reached on 999 (or 112) from any UK telephone, including locked mobile phones. If you need to call the emergency services on campus, please also call Security on 01784 443888 – they’ll help to direct the emergency services when they arrive.
Distress or mental health emergencies
If you are contemplating suicide, or a friend is contemplating suicide, seek assistance immediately.
- Student Counselling (Monday - Friday; 9am - 4pm): The Counselling service usually reserves a session every working day in term time for students in immediate distress. Counselling is highly confidential, but the service reserves the right to mobilise other support if someone’s life or health is in immediate danger. You can call them on 01784 443128
- NHS 111:The NHS111service offers general health advice and support over the telephone. They will mobilise an emergency response where needed.
- Surrey and Borders: Crisis Mental Health hotline: In times of crisis or distress students can call 0800 915 4644 and speak to a trained member of staff who will crisis assess the situation. This crisis helpline is available 24 hours a day, every day of the year for mental health and support. Specialised staff there can triage to the Home Treatment Team if required.
- GP Surgery (Monday - Friday, 9am - 5:30pm): Appointments with the GP surgery can sometimes be arranged at short notice in an emergency. Outside of surgery hours their telephone line (01784 443131) will direct you to the local out-of-hours medical service at all times.
- Campus Security: The security team are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and can arrange help for a wide range of issues. Contact them on 01784 443888 or by visiting the control centre in Founder’s East reception.
- Samaritans: The Samaritans provide emotional support over the telephone on 116 123 at any time. The Samaritans are completely confidential.
- Papyrus: Papyrus have excellent resources to help young people who have suicidal thoughts. You can contact their HOPELINE UK on 0800 068 41 41 or 07786 209697
- London Nightline: London Nightline is a student led advice service who can listen to you and talk about things over the phone. They offer help and advice on 020 7 631 0101 between 6pm and 8am every night in term-time. Their website gives other contact methods including email, SMS and Skype.
- St Peter’s Hospital, Chertsey: St Peter’s has a 24 hour casualty service and a specialist Psychiatric Liaison Officer on call. You can contact St Peter’s switchboard on 01932 872000.
- Hub of Hope: Using your postcode in the search box you can identify all the local mental health services near to where you are.
Do you have a friend in crisis?
Read our ‘helping a friend in crisis’ guide
If you discover a fire, activate the nearest fire alarm then leave the building immediately. Then call Security immediately on 01784 443888 if safe to do so – they will take additional information to guide the emergency services to the emergency.
If a crime is in progress or someone’s life is in danger, call 999 immediately.
If you need to report a non-emergency issue to the Police – such as reporting a crime that’s already happened – call 101 or visit the Surrey Police website for other ways to make a report.
If you have a life-threatening medical emergency, call 999 immediately.
Then call Security on 01784 443888 if it’s safe to do so: they’ll take additional information to guide the emergency services to the emergency. For a non-life threatening emergencies please consider reading our medical help and advice page.
If you have an emergency maintenance issue (like a serious water leak), report this to your Hall Reception as soon as possible. If your Hall Reception is closed, call Security on 01784 443063.