APPLICATIONS ARE OPEN
Study Support Grant
(previously the Hardship Fund)
The Study Support Grant is an amount of money available to eligible students who are facing financial difficulties. The Grant is cash limited and demand is high. A standard assessment procedure is used which calculates the level of support based on the gap between annual income and essential expenditure.
We provide a number of different Study Support Grants to support UK students with the following:
- Field Trips
- Theatre Excursions
- Travel for study
- Employment or volunteering opportunities directly related to your studies.
- Facing serious short term financial hardship and where there is a possibility of you having to withdraw/ interrupt your studies.
- Additional financial support to assist with payment towards living costs such as rent and utility bills.
- Have caring responsibilities and/or disabled students.
Your application will be assessed over the whole academic year - 52 weeks for continuing students or 39 weeks for final year students.
We will not be able to consider the cost of Tuition Fees. Nor can the Study Support Grant pay towards the cost of any Tuition Fees.
You may apply to the Study Support Grant once during the academic year.
Applications are closed to undergraduate students during the summer vacation. Dates of when the applications are open / closed can be found on this wepage.
- Provided your application form has been accurately completed and the appropriate evidence has been submitted, a decision should be made within 2 weeks of submission. Your application will be considered by Financial Wellbeing Office in the strictest confidence and you will be notified of the outcome via an email to your university account.
How to apply:
Make sure you fit the criteria to apply for this grant.
Complete the Study Support Grant application form.
Arrange for your personal adviser / tutor to complete the Academic Reference on page 9 of the application form.
Ensure you have photocopies/ screen prints of all supporting documents (that are relevant to you) on page 8 of the application form.
Contact the Financial Wellbeing to make an appointment to go through your application
Please make sure you have all photocopied documentation ready for your appointment. Without this we are unable to complete your application
Study Support Grant Regulations