Tips for finding part-time or vacation work
- Be flexible and open-minded. Finding vacation work that is related to your subject may be challenging
- Create and then tailor your CV to the kind of jobs you are looking for
- Non-EU students are usually entitled to work up to 20 hours per week (term-time) and full-time in vacation. However, this is subject to your visa.
What are employers looking for on my CV?
For typical part-time or vacation jobs employers are looking for:
- Commitment and timeliness (Do you turn up when needed, on time?)
- Ability to work in a team (Can you work efficiently with other people?)
- Responsibility (Can you be trusted with stock/customers/cash?)
- Good customer service skills (Can you communicate and solve problems in a clear, friendly and professional manner?)
- Previous similar experience will stand in your favour, but is not always required
- Think carefully about experiences from your degree, work or other activities that might demonstrate these skills.
When writing a CV for part-time or vacation work that is not related to your subject, previous similar work experience should be higher up on your CV than your university studies, because this is what the employer is looking for.
Further information on writing your CV is available here. Don't forget to get your CV checked by booking an appointment through the Careers Portal!
Where to find part-time or vacation work
- Kick start your job hunting by browsing our by checking out the 'Jobs' tab on the Careers Portal.
- The departments who offer on-campus roles are listed on the Jobs on campus web page (bar and catering, careers service, SU, library, student ambassadors, IT etc). Their vacancies are sometimes advertised on the main Royal Holloway Jobs Page, or the SU Work With Us site. Check back regularly as new positions can come up at any time.
- The Careers Service holds a Part-time Jobs Fair twice a year where employers recruit for hundreds of part-time and casual roles both on and off campus in sectors such as; hospitality, retail, education and many more...