Flags on a table in the Picture Gallery during a welcome event

Request a Schengen Visa Letter

If you want to go travelling in Europe but need a visa, we can help

If you’re studying in the UK on a student visa and want to travel to Europe while you’re here, you’ll need a travel visa. A large number of European countries are part of a free movement area call the Schengen Area, which means that you’ll need to apply for a Schengen Visa to visit them, countries which make up the Schengen Area are:
Austria Belgium Czech Republic Denmark
Estonia Finland France Germany
Greece Hungary Iceland Italy
Latvia Lithuania Luxembourg Malta
Netherlands Norway Poland Portugal
Slovakia Slovenia Spain Sweden

How can I request a Schengen Visa Letter to support my application?

To request this letter, simply fill out the online request form. Please make sure that you include the full name and UK address of the embassy you’re applying to in the request.

Frequently Asked Questions 

What information is included in a Schengen Visa Letter?

A Schengen Visa Letter confirms the same information as a Student Status Certificate but is addressed to the embassy that you’re applying to: if we don’t include this information, it is likely to be rejected.

How long will it take to produce my Schengen Visa Letter?

We aim to process all requests for this letter within three to five working days.

How will I receive my Schengen Visa Letter?

We are able to provide this document electronically with a digital stamp and signature, or we can provide a physical document with a wet stamp and signature. Please specify on your form how you would like to receive the document.

I need an original signature on my Schengen Visa Letter

Only a specific number of embassies require an original signature, and the Student Services Centre is aware of those embassies that require it. 

On your Schengen Visa Letter there will be instructions for your embassy to follow should they wish to verify the authenticity of the document, this includes sending us a scanned copy of the letter.


I'm not in attendance at University, can I request a Schengen Visa Letter?

Yes, if you are currently on year in industry or have interrupted your studies you are still eligible to receive a Schengen Visa Letter.  

I'm a former student, can I request a Schengen Visa Letter?

No, once you have reached your expected end date of your programme at Royal Holloway, we are unable to provide a Schengen Visa Letter for you. 


Find out more about the Schengen Visa scheme

You can find more information about how the Schengen visa system works on our International Student Support Office website.