Planet Earth

International graduands



Update April 2022  

Summer Graduation Ceremonies will be held between 11-18 July 2022

For the full time table please click HERE.   

If you have any queries, please contact the Student Services Centre.


If you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, you may require a visa to attend graduation. 


I'm planning to leave the UK after I have finished my course. Can I return to the UK to attend my graduation ceremony using my current visa if it's still valid?

If you leave the UK after your study has finished, then you may encounter problems returning to the UK on your Tier 4 visa, even if you have time left on it. We always advise students to return on a Standard Visitor visa for their graduation if they have left the UK in between the ceremony and their programme ending.

I'm planning to leave the UK after I have finished my course and my student visa is no longer valid. How can I get a visa to return to the UK to attend my graduation ceremony?

If you no longer have a valid student visa and you are planning to return to the UK to attend your graduation ceremony, you’ll need to apply for a Standard Visitor visa. You need to show:

  • that you wish to visit the UK for no more than six months;
  • that you intend to leave the UK at the end of the visit; and
  • that you have enough money to support yourself while you are in the UK without working or having recourse to public funds.

The Gov UK website details the requirements for a Standard Visitor visa. Once you confirm your attendance on the Graduation Booking site a confirmation email is sent to the email address that you registered; you may wish to provide your confirmation of attendance email to support your visa application. 

If you are a non-visa national you do not need to apply for immigration permission before travelling to the UK. Please check the Gov UK website for further information. 

For support with your visa application or to ask any further questions, please contact the International Student Support Office.

I'm planning on inviting guests to my graduation ceremony. How can I support their visa application(s)?

Guests should check travel information on the Gov UK website. You can help your visitors by providing them with a letter completed by yourself. Please see our Invitation Sample Letter. Make sure your letter includes details of:

  • your visitor’s full name
  • your relationship to them (parent, friend, etc.)
  • their planned arrival and departure dates
  • where they intend to stay; if they plan to stay with you, give your full address
  • your own immigration status (for instance, student until 2019)
  • copies of your current passport and student visa/Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)


If you have any queries relating to your request please contact the International Student Support Office.