I'm about to graduate – how can I save my email data?


Your University email account will be closed six months after your course end date. If there is information that you would like to keep, there are steps you can take before it closes.  

If you only have a small amount of data you’d like to move over, you can manually forward any emails and details you want to keep to any other existing email account you have.  

If you would like to save a larger amount of information, including email messages and contact information, our instructions below outline how you can do this. 

Copying data from your University account to a different one:  

  • Download an email provider (such as Microsoft Outlook, Mail, or Mozilla Thunderbird), and create a mailbox file  

  • You’ll then be able to export your university emails and contacts to your other mail account   

  • With Outlook as an example, you will be able to move emails and contacts from your university email to another account by creating a .pst file. Instructions for doing this are on Microsoft’s support page

If you experience any problems… 

Please contact the IT Services Team at itservicedesk@royalholloway.ac.uk with details of the difficulties you are having. 


Alongside your email data, you may want to consider ensuring you have downloaded any information you’d like from other University services such as OneDrive, Moodle, Campus Connect and files on the (Y:) drive


Remember, as a new alumni, you can keep in touch with the University through the Alumni Relations team

< Back to FAQs