Euro Union_ThinkstockPhotos-514114420

Information for EU students


The UK is now in a new relationship with the EU. If you are an EU/EEA student, this will have an effect on your immigration status in the UK and what you will need to show you remain eligible to study in the UK. 


Confirm right to study in the UK


The following information is broken down into particular scenarios, but please read all of the guidance to be sure of what action you need to take:

I am an EEA/Swiss national and I am in the UK

if you have not done so already, you should apply for the EU Settlement Scheme. This scheme is free to apply for and will grant you either pre-settled (five years of leave in the UK) or settled status (indefinite leave). This will be based on how long you have been living here in the UK.

When applying for the EU Settlement Scheme, if you need to provide proof of your registration at the College and are fully enrolled for the current academic year, you can download your Student Status Certificate from Campus Connect.

We advise you apply for this as soon as possible – if you would like any assistance with your application, please contact the International Student Support Office.

I am an EEA/Swiss national and I am outside the UK

If you arrived in the UK before 1 January 2021 then you are eligible for the EU Settlement Scheme and you can follow the instructions above and in this document. If you are going to arrive on/after 1 January 2021 you will not be eligible and you must apply for a visa to enter the UK. If you are arriving for a degree programme, you will require a Student visa.

I am an EEA/Swiss national inside the UK, but I plan to leave the UK for the winter break and will not return until the start of term two

We strongly recommend applying for the EU Settlement Scheme now. If you do not apply, then you will require immigration permission to return to the UK if you enter on/after 1 January 2021. 

It is important to note that the EU Settlement Scheme does not have a minimum requirement for how long you have been in the UK to apply. This may affect your decision on when to arrive in the UK to avoid needing to apply for a Student visa, and to qualify for the EU Settlement Scheme. For further details on the scheme, or to discuss your personal situation, please contact the International Student Support Office

EU Settlement Scheme

Further information and how to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme can be found in this document.

Further information

For further information on the EU Settlement Scheme, Brexit, and the Student visa, please consult the links below:

International Student Support Guide

Download our International Student Support Guide, on the Welcome to Royal Holloway app, to stay up-to-date with information relating to the UK's exit from the EU.