International Students Founders Quad

International Students

If you’re an international student in the UK, you might need help with looking for a graduate job or want to gain work experience while you study.

The links below will get you started, and you can book an appointment with the Careers Service to discuss your plans if you need more help. You can also get practical, expert advice on things like visas and bank accounts from the International Student Support Team.


Graduate Jobs in the UK

Visas: The new Skilled Worker visa route replaced Tier 2 on 1 December 2020. The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) provides advice and updates on work visas here They also provide advice on the graduate immigration route which comes into force in summer 2021, which will allow undergraduate and master's degree students to apply to stay for two years, and PhD students to apply to stay for three years. Contact the International Student Support Team to ask questions about visas.

Brexit: You will find updates on the impact of the UK leaving the EU on the College’s EU Hub

Describing your qualifications to graduate employers: UCAS has a simple guide that compares international qualifications to those gained in the UK. For something more detailed or for a Statement of Comparability (which costs £49.50 + VAT) contact UK NARIC

Further help: To discuss your specific situation you can email the College's International Student Adviser

Useful links (External providers not linked to the university):

  • Student Circus is a graduate jobs portal specifically for international students in the UK
  • Target Jobs has a job hunting guide for international students
  • My PSW Forum is a place for international students to connect with each other, ask questions and share experiences, as well as providing access to free employability resources for job hunting in the UK.

Graduate Jobs Abroad has a useful collection of country guides for anyone considering working in their home country or elsewhere

The College subscribes to the excellent resource GoinGlobal which is only available via the Careers page on Moodle. It offers a wealth of advice and support via country guides. Each guide is created by a local careers specialist and updated annually. They include tips on how CVs and cover letters should be adapted for that country, top employers, tips on how to job hunt, financial and cultural advice.

Part-time Jobs While You Study

Working hours: Most student visas will allow you to work while you study. There will be a maximum number of hours that you will be allowed to work in term time. You will usually be allowed to work full time in vacation periods. UKCISA provides full details

Part time jobs fair: The Careers Service holds a part-time jobs fair twice a year. You’ll find more information on this event and on/off-campus opportunities here

National Insurance numbers: If you are planning on working in the UK you will need to apply for a National Insurance number

Useful links

The Jobs section of the Careers Portal lists local full and part time vacancies

The government’s Job Help site provides links to employers and vacancies


Header Here

Text here