Student halls with flowers



At Royal Holloway we have a small number of properties suitable for couples and families. These properties are only available for our EU and international postgraduate students, who are studying full time. 

If you are a UK student and need support and guidance on finding private sector housing for your family, please contact our Students' Union Advice Centre.

When can I apply?

EU and international postgraduate students can apply for accommodation for 2022/23 from 10am on 7 April 2022. Please note that you will need to have accepted your offer to study at Royal Holloway to be eligible to apply. You can find out more information on when to apply in our Allocation Policy.

How do I apply?

You can submit an application for accommodation by visiting our online accommodation system. If you have any questions about how to submit an application, please see our helpful registration and application guide.

How much do the properties cost?

For further details on pricing, please see our couples and families accommodation fees document.

Looking for more information on our couples and families properties?

A list of properties available in the 2022/23 academic year can be found in our couples and families document

Are bills included in the price of the property?

If you are offered on-campus accommodation in one of our Halls (Butler or Kingswood), your utility bills will be included in the price of your rent. You will also be able to make use of the free Wi-Fi on campus.

If you are offered accommodation in Highfield Cottage, Oatlands Cottage or Standlehill, you will need to arrange for the installation of your own Wi-Fi and you will be expected to pay your utility bills. These bills are additional costs and are not included in the price of renting the property.

Do I need to pay council tax?

Full-time students are exempt from council tax, but you will need to prove your student status providing the council with your student status certificate. For further information, please see our council tax webpage.

Will the property be furnished?

The properties are fully furnished. If you have further questions about the appliances and furniture that will be provided, please contact our Customer Services Team.

Is there parking available?

If you accept an offer for a Kingwood property, you can apply for parking permission from Kingswood reception which allows you to park at Kingswood only, further details can be found on parking webpage.

If you accept an offer for a Runnymede or Butler property, you will not be eligible to apply for a parking permit.

Oatlands Cottage and Standelhill both have driveways and a garage that can be used to park vehicles. 

Highfield Cottage has garage, but this cannot be used for vehicles. 

Is there a deadline for applying?

There is no deadline for submitting an application for couples and families accommodation. However, we do encourage you to apply as soon as possible as we only have a limited number of properties.

How does the allocation process work?

Applications are processed on a first come first served basis, with priority given to students who are new to the University.

If there are no properties available when we reach your application, you will be held on a waiting list and regular updates will be provided by email.

Can I apply if I am studying part-time?

Only students who are registered in full-time study can apply for accommodation with the university.

When will my contract start?

Our couples and family accommodation contracts start in September, if you receive an offer of accommodation and the contract start date does not align with your course start date, please contact the Student Services Centre

Can I live in the property for multiple years in a row?

You will need to submit an application for accommodation for each academic year. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that you will receive an offer, or that you will be able to remain in the same property if an offer is possible.