What do I need to do?
To request to be released from your accommodation contract you will need to complete the Accommodation Contract Cancellation Request form, located at the bottom of this page. This is the first step you will need to complete before we can consider your request to cancel your contract.
However, before taking this first step we would encourage you to access the support that is available at the College in the first instance to try to resolve any issues that you are experiencing in Halls accommodation.
What support is available?
- If you have a medical reason for wanting to cancel your contract, please get in touch with the Disability and Dyslexia Services team first, to see what support can be provided.
- If you are experiencing difficulties with fellow flat/housemates, then we would encourage you reach out to the Hall Life team for support in the first instance before completing the cancellation request form.
- If your experience of living in Halls has had an impact on your wellbeing, we would advise you to get in touch with the Wellbeing team for support in the first instance before completing the cancellation request form.
- If you are seeking to cancel your contract because of financial reasons, then please reach out to the Financial Wellbeing team to see if they can provide you with any financial support before completing the cancellation request form.
- If your request to cancel is due to ongoing maintenance problems that you have experienced during your stay in Halls accommodation, please contact the Customer Services team to continue to raise these maintenance issues so that they can be resolved.
- If you feel that your room is not be suitable for you, we would advise that you consider the option of changing your room before seeking to cancel your contract. Please refer to guidance on moving or swapping rooms for more information.
- Please be aware that completing and submitting a cancellation request form does not mean your accommodation contract will be cancelled. You will remain liable for all accommodation fees whilst you are under contract.
- Make sure you read the information on this page before completing the request form, and that you are aware of the Accommodation Terms and Conditions.
- Should it be possible for us to proceed with cancelling your accommodation contract, we won’t be able to release you from the contract until:
- the room has been emptied of your belongings, and
- all keys/access cards (excluding your Student ID card) have been returned to the Customer Service Point, and
- you have checked out at the Customer Service Point. If you leave outside of the opening hours for the Customer Service Point, please ensure that you put your keys/access cards in a signed and dated envelope, leaving it in your room, and then email the Customer Services team to let them know you have vacated and departed your room.
Guidance on completing the contract cancellation request form
- Read the Accommodation Terms and Conditions before submitting your request.
- Read the information in the section below, ‘Reason for Cancellation’.
- Fill out the contract cancellation request form (link at the bottom of the page).
- Email documentation to support your cancellation request to the Student Services Centre within a day of submitting the request form.
- Once we have all the information required, you will be contacted within 15 working days with confirmation of our decision. Please note that we may invite you for a meeting to discuss your cancellation request.
Reason for Cancellation
From the list below, click on the reason that best reflects why you are requesting to cancel your accommodation contract to find out more about what you need to do next.
You should not complete the Accommodation Contract Cancellation Request form.
If you are leaving your room in Halls and therefore wanting to cancel your contract because you are withdrawing, interrupting, changing to part-time, have submitted your thesis (doctoral students only), or you have been asked to leave following misconduct action, you will need to complete the Notice to Leave Accommodation form.
If the reason for wishing to cancel your contract isn’t listed above or below, you should not complete the Accommodation Contract Cancellation Request form.
Instead you will need to find another student to take over your contract to whom your financial liability can be transferred. The student must be similar to yourself (i.e. same level of study, new or continuing undergraduate for example, and same gender, female or male) and can’t already be contracted to accommodation in either Halls or the private sector.
If you are able to find another student who is interested in taking over your contract, please email the Student Services Centre their full name and student ID. We will then check the suitability of this student and advise you on the next stage of the contract transfer process.
If you are looking to cancel your Halls accommodation contract because of issues with your room, e.g. maintenance problems, please email the Customer Services team in the first instance so that they may arrange for someone to help with finding a solution. If the issue persists and a fix cannot be found even after investigation, then they may support your request to cancel your contract.
Only after you have explored the options with the Customer Services team should you proceed with completing the form at the bottom of this page, submitting the necessary supporting evidence.
If you are looking to cancel your Halls accommodation contract due to medical reasons, your wellbeing or financial difficulty, please get in touch with the relevant team within Student Advisory & Wellbeing in the first instance to find out more about the support available to you. If reasonable adjustments cannot be achieved for your stay in Halls, then they may support your request to cancel your contract.
- Disability and Dyslexia Services for medical reasons
- Financial Wellbeing in cases of financial difficulty
Only after you have explored the options with the relevant team within Student Advisory & Wellbeing should you proceed with completing the form below, submitting the necessary supporting evidence.
If you are experiencing difficulties with living in Halls accommodation, please contact the Hall Life team for support and help with resolving the issues in the first instance. If reasonable adjustments cannot be achieved for your stay in Halls, they may support your request to cancel your contract in exceptional circumstances.
Only then will you need to complete the cancellation request form and submit relevant evidence.
You will need your College username and password to access the Form. If you have any questions, please contact the Student Services Centre.