What do I need to do?
Consider carefully whether applying to cancel your accommodation contract is the right course of action for you - these requests are granted only in rare circumstances and only when evidence of the unforeseen circumstances has been provided.
To request to be released from your accommodation contract you will need to complete the Accommodation Contract Cancellation Request form located at the bottom of this page. This is the first step you will need to complete before we can consider your request to cancel your contract.
However, before taking this first step we would strongly encourage you to access the support that is available at Royal Holloway to try to resolve any issues that you are experiencing in Halls accommodation.
What support is available to help me with my living situation in Halls?
The following teams can support you with the aim of solving relevant issues and helping you remain living in your room. The support that is available at Royal Holloway must be exhausted before a request to cancel your contract can be considered:
- If you are experiencing difficulties with fellow flat/housemates, then we would encourage you reach out to the Hall Life team for support.
- If you have a medical reason for needing to cancel your contract, please get in touch with the Disability and Neurodiversity Services team first, to see what support can be provided to support you with living in halls.
- If your experience of living in Halls has had an impact on your wellbeing, or you have a safeguarding issue, we would advise you to get in touch with the Wellbeing team for support and guidance.
- If you are thinking about applying to cancel your contract because of financial reasons, then please reach out to the Financial Wellbeing team to see if they can provide you with any financial support.
- If your request to cancel is due to ongoing maintenance problems that you have experienced during your stay in Halls accommodation, please contact the Customer Services team to continue to raise these maintenance issues so that they can be resolved.
- If you feel that your current room is not suitable for you, we would advise that you consider the option of changing your room before seeking to cancel your contract. Please refer to guidance on moving or swapping rooms for more information.
- Please be aware that completing and submitting a cancellation request form in no way guarantees cancellation.
- The Panel will consider cancellation requests on a case-by-case basis taking into account the evidence provided by the student that details (a) how the situation culminating in the submission of a cancellation request has arisen, along with (b) evidence of the support that has been explored with the above teams.
- You will remain liable for all accommodation fees whilst you are under contract and fees should be paid by the due date so as to avoid any late payment penalties. Should a cancellation request be approved, any overpaid accommodation fees will be refunded back to you.
- Make sure you read the information on this page before completing the request form, and that you are aware of the Accommodation Terms and Conditions.
- Should it be possible for us to proceed with cancelling your accommodation contract, we won’t be able to release you from the contract until:
- the room has been emptied of your belongings, and
- all keys/access cards (excluding your Student ID card) have been returned to the Halls Reception, and
- you have checked out at the Halls Reception. If you leave outside of the opening hours for the Reception, please ensure that you put your keys/access cards in a signed and dated envelope, leaving it in your room, and then email the Customer Services team to let them know you have vacated and departed your room.
Guidance on completing the contract cancellation request form
- Read the Accommodation Terms and Conditions before submitting your request.
- Read all the information on this webpage including the section below, ‘Reason for cancellation’.
- Fill out the contract cancellation request form (link at the bottom of the page).
- Email documentation to support your cancellation request to the Student Services Centre within a day of submitting the request form. The documentation should include (a) details of how the situation culminating in the submission of a cancellation request has arisen, and (b) evidence of the support that has been explored with various teams (listed above) at Royal Holloway.
- Once we have all the information required, you will be contacted within 15 working days with confirmation of the Panel's decision. Please note that there may be delays with notifying students of outcomes during peak periods.
Reason for cancellation
Click on the reason that best reflects why you are requesting to cancel your accommodation contract to find out more about what you need to do next. Please note that only reasons that constitute extreme unforeseen circumstances will be considered.
If the reason for wishing to cancel your contract isn’t listed below, you should not complete the Accommodation Contract Cancellation Request form.
Instead you will need to find another student to take over your contract to whom your financial liability can be transferred. The student must be similar to yourself (i.e. same level of study, new or continuing undergraduate for example, and same gender) and can’t already be contracted to accommodation in either Halls or the private sector.
If you are able to find another student who is interested in taking over your contract, please email the Student Services Centre their full name and student ID. We will then check the suitability of this student and advise you on the next stage of the contract transfer process.
You should not complete the Accommodation Contract Cancellation Request form.
If you are leaving your room in Halls and therefore wanting to cancel your contract because you are withdrawing, interrupting, changing to part-time, have submitted your thesis (doctoral students only), or you have been asked to leave following misconduct action, you will need to complete the Notice to Leave Accommodation form.
If you are looking to cancel your Halls accommodation contract because of issues with your room, e.g. maintenance problems, please email the Customer Services team in the first instance so that they may arrange for someone to help with finding a solution. If the issue persists and a fix cannot be found even after investigation, then they may support your request to cancel your contract.
Only after you have fully explored the options with the Customer Services team should you proceed with completing the form at the bottom of this page, submitting the necessary supporting evidence.
If you are looking to cancel your Halls accommodation contract due to an unforeseen safeguarding, medical, or wellbeing reason, then you should explore the relevant support options in the above section 'What support is available to help me with my living conditions in Halls?' If you have already made attempts to resolve the difficulties then complete the Accommodation Contract Cancellation Request form, providing evidence that illustrates why these issues could not be resolved.
If you are experiencing financial difficulties and have explored all support available to you with the Financial Wellbeing Team, please complete the Accommodation Contract Cancellation Request form. You will need to provide evidence to illustrate how you have fallen into financial difficulty, and how the support of the Financial Wellbeing team could not resolve the issues.
If you are experiencing difficulties with living in Halls accommodation, please contact the Hall Life team for support and help with resolving the issues in the first instance. If reasonable adjustments cannot be achieved for your stay in Halls, they may support your request to cancel your contract in exceptional circumstances.
Only then should you complete the Accommodation Contract Cancellation Request form, providing evidence that illustrates why the issues could not be resolved.
You will need your Royal Holloway network username and password to access the Form. If you have any questions, please contact the Student Services Centre.