Student halls with flowers





Here you can find answers to some frequently asked questions.


What support can the Hall Life team offer?

The Hall Life team are on hand to provide you with the support you need to live independently and safely in Halls. We run many events and campaigns to help you settle in and have a positive experience of living in Halls. If you have any questions or suggestions on event you would like to see in Halls please feel free to email us at

Who do I contact in case of an emergency? - fire, health, etc.

If there is an emergency in Halls you can contact Security by calling 01784 443888 who are available 24/7, 365 days. Alternatively, details of other services you can contact can be found here

Have a problem in Halls, who can I talk to?

For any general Hall-related matters, questions or enquires, maintenance or facilities issues, parking requests, checking out of Halls etc., we ask that you contact Residential Services via All Hall receptions are now closed to face-to-face enquiries. If you are concerned about yourself or someone else's wellbeing, click here to find out more information about available support. For other issues, please email or use our virtual drop-in service. Simply call 07867454970 to speak to a member of the Hall Life team, Monday - Sunday, 7- 9pm or Monday and Friday 11am - 1pm, term time only. No appointment is necessary, and the service will be running across the Easter break in addition to during term-time.

I am not getting along with my flatmates and I want to move rooms. Who do I talk to?

The Hall Life team are unable to arrange a room move. If you are experiencing an issue with flatmates and are unable to resolve it between you, please email the Hall Life team, or you can speak to a member of the team through our virtual drop-in service. Simply call 07867454970 to speak to a member of the Hall Life team, Monday - Sunday, 7- 9pm or Monday and Friday 11am - 1pm, term time only. No appointment is necessary, and the service will be running across the Easter break in addition to during term-time. A member of the team will be able to discuss options with you.

How do I make a noise complaint?

If you are being disturbed by noise in your Hall first try and talk to the individual(s) responsible. Everyone should be respectful of each other. However, if the noise persists contact security who are available 24/7, 365 days. Contact details can be found here

What happens if something gets broken or damaged?

If something is broken or damaged in your room, you need to report it by emailing If you damage College property you will be charged. For expenses, view our charges PDF

My room is not the right temperature, how do I fix this?

Rooms are normally maintained at a minimum of 18-19 degrees Celsius. If your radiator has a temperature control you can adjust the temperature yourself. If not, or the problem persists after you have adjusted the temperature, you should contact our maintenance team at

An appliance in Hall is not working, what do I do?

If any other the appliances in your Hall are not working, such as boilers or College electrical equipment, report the problem to our maintenance team by emailing

My flatmates don't clean up after themselves, what can I do?

It is an important part of independent living that you speak in person to your flatmates and try to resolve issues between yourselves. Try and have a constructive conversation with your flatmate to try and resolve your issue.

Click here to check the Hall Life tips. If you still problems, speak to a member of our team through our virtual drop in sessions. The sessions run Monday to Sunday, 7 - 9pm and Monday and Friday, 11am - 1pm, term time only.

My parents or friends are visiting me. Is there anywhere they can stay?

Guests are not allowed to stay in a college room after 11 pm. If you wish to stay anytime during the year, either contact the Hub at 01784 443285 or click here to book a room.



How do I use the laundrette?

All washing machines and dryer are run by Circuit. To register, you must download the Circuit app in your phone and top up accordingly. Click here for more information.

Please remember that appropriate distancing must be respected and no more than two people in the room at any one time. 

I have locked myself out. What should I do?

We ask you to be extremely vigilant with your access card/College card to avoid being locked out of your bedroom, flat and building, and please be aware there will be a delay in getting you back into your accommodation due to the necessary adjustments we have had to make to our operations. 

If you have locked yourself out and have a mobile phone on you, please call College Security on 01784 443063. 

If you do not have your mobile phone on you, please use the red phone which is located in many of our residential buildings, normally on the first-floor landing area.

  • For George Eliot Hall and Penrose Court, please use the red phone located in the George Eliot Centre main foyer entrance.
  • For Kingswood One Hall, please use the intercom and phone provided in the Reception foyer.
  • For Founder’s Hall, please visit the Security Office located at the East central entrance.  

If you lock yourself out and require access out of hours, please call College Security on 01784 443063 or visit the Founder’s Security office located on Founder’s east central entrance. 

How do I join the Hall Life team?

If you want to join us here at Hall Life and help others have a positive hall experience then head over to our Join the Team page. Vacancies open in Spring, at the beginning of term two. So keep an eye out!

If you would like more information on the roles please head over to our Your Hall Life team page.


Hall Life Corner

  1. Need help in Hall?
  2. Read our top tips, and get ready for independent living!

  3. Read our blog on 'Living in Halls' and meet Lucy, our Hall Life Duty Officer.

Follow the Hall Life Team on social media:


Contacting the Hall Life Team:

You can contact your Hall Life team by email.

Meet the team

Find out more about the team

group of students