How to submit an application

Find out all you need to know about submitting an application and what factors to consider when choosing your preferences

How do I submit an application?

You can submit your application for accommodation online. You'll need to register an account with the Online Accommodation System before you can submit an application.

Can I live with my friends?

If you want to request to live with your friends, you must complete the following:

  1. All members of your group must apply via the Online Accommodation System on the same day, selecting the same preferences in the same order.
  2. Once you have applied online, one member of your group will need to complete the Living with Friends Online Request Form (available from 12noon on 16 January 2019). The request form will ask you to provide the full name and student number of all the students who wish to live together.
  3. We will then email each member of the group with further information.
  4. You will receive confirmation of whether we've been able to meet your request at the time your accommodation application is processed.

If accommodation is limited and one or more of the group are assessed as needing a particular type of room by our Disability and Dyslexia Services team, these requirements may take priority over allocating accommodation with friends.

Please note depending on the number of people requesting to live together and the room availability at the time we reach your application, we may not be able to meet your request. 

If one or more students within a group declines the offer of accommodation, the College reserves the right to offer the unallocated room(s) to other students who applied on a first-come-first served basis. Unfortunately the College cannot consider requests for these rooms to be offered to specific individuals who weren’t included in the original Living with Friends Online Request Form.

Medical priority

If you have a medical condition or disability you may be guaranteed accommodation as a continuing student. To be assessed you’ll have to register with the Disability and Dyslexia Services team as well as submitting an application for accommodation before the application window closes. 

How do I choose which Hall is best for me?

Are you struggling to decide which bands should be at the top of your preferences? Don’t worry! Take a look at our guidance below to help you decide what’s best for you.

Founder's Dining Hall students with trays


We offer both self-catered and catered pay-as-you-go Halls at Royal Holloway. If the Hall is self-catered, this means that it comes with a shared kitchen where you can cook your own food. If the Hall is catered pay-as-you-go, you’ll have access to a pantry with a fridge and microwave so you can make drinks and snacks and you’ll buy your meals from your Hall's dining hall (at a discounted rate of approximately 50%).

For a quick breakdown on which bands are catered or self-catered, please see the Halls of Residence fees information.

Do you have special dietary requirements (e.g. vegan or halal)? Don’t worry! We ensure that all our dining halls supply food for everyone, but if there isn’t an option for you on the menu, all you need to do is let the member of staff at the food counter know and they’ll cook something for you fresh. Take a look at the food outlets available at Royal Holloway to get an idea of what’s on offer for you.



Are you applying for a maintenance loan from Student Finance to help cover your accommodation fees? If so, we recommend that you use the Student Finance Calculator to estimate how much loan you’ll receive before you submit your application. Once you know roughly how much loan you’ll receive, you can add your preferences in order of what you can afford.

You can view the full list of Halls of Residence fees online but if you’re looking for the cheapest accommodation, single standard Band J (undergraduate), single en suite Band H1 (undergraduate) and single standard Band W (postgraduate) might be best for you.


Bathroom facilities

Some of our Halls offer en suite facilities which means you’ll have access to your own toilet, washbasin and shower. Others have shared facilities which means that you’ll share a bathroom with other students in your flat or corridor (you may still have your own washbasin in your room).

For a quick breakdown on which bands have shared or en suite bathroom facilities, please see the Halls of Residence fees information. Please be aware, en suite rooms can be the most expensive so you might want to take a look at your budget before you finalise your preferences!

Header Here

Text here

Receiving an offer and making a decision


Moving in and contract dates